HDR on x86 Hardware

• I am running the 20221101 generic nightly with an AMD Ryzen 3 5300U.

I am able to get HDR working but only if I start a video with hdr, press the menu button to get back to the kodi main menu, then back to the playing video. Is there a known workaround for this?

• I am running the 20221101 generic nightly with an AMD Ryzen 3 5300U.

I am able to get HDR working but only if I start a video with hdr, press the menu button to get back to the kodi main menu, then back to the playing video. Is there a known workaround for this?

That’s how it should work? The main menu shouldn’t be in HDR and really you shouldn’t set the resolution to 4K for the menu.

So it should be in SDR 1080p for menu. Then when u play a video switch to 4K HDR etc.

• That’s how it should work? The main menu shouldn’t be in HDR and really you shouldn’t set the resolution to 4K for the menu.

So it should be in SDR 1080p for menu. Then when u play a video switch to 4K HDR etc.

The screen does not switch to HDR when it first loads the stream. So the procedure I mentioned is the only way for me to force HDR, otherwise it will keep playing in SDR. So when I do switch from a playing video to the home screen it will recognize the HDR and switch the display.

• The screen does not switch to HDR when it first loads the stream. So the procedure I mentioned is the only way for me to force HDR, otherwise it will keep playing in SDR. So when I do switch from a playing video to the home screen it will recognize the HDR and switch the display.

What’s the source your playing from?

• What’s the source your playing from?

My chain looks like this: Asus PN51 running LE -> Denon x1700h -> LG C1. The same issue is present if I cut out the AVR.

The file is streamed from my emby library. I've attached the media info for one of the files that exhibit this issue.

• My chain looks like this: Asus PN51 running LE -> Denon x1700h -> LG C1. The same issue is present if I cut out the AVR.

The file is streamed from my emby library. I've attached the media info for one of the files that exhibit this issue.

Really should paste a log to see what’s happening.

Do you have match frame rate turned on in the Kodi player settings?

• So I just built a Ryzen 5600g system. It’s doing the same thing. It will not output HDR correctly unless while playing a video I press “\” and then the system switches resolution it appears and it asks me to keep the setting. I go no and then it switched back and HDR is outputting correctly.

I also noticed even though I disabled mouse control in the Kodi settings. When I play a video I can see the mouse until I press the “\” and once outputting correctly I don’t see it.

Also should it be saying ff-hevc (sw) ?

I've also uploaded the Log

http://ix.io/4jcl

• I just ran VAINFO from the console and it returned this

LibreELEC:~ # vainfo

Trying display: drm

libva info: VA-API version 1.16.0

libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so

libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_16

libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

vainfo: VA-API version: 1.16 (libva 2.16.0)

vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 22.2.2 for AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir, LLVM 15.0.4, DRM 3.48, 6.0.6)

vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints

VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD

VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD

VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD

VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD

VAProfileVP9Profile2 : VAEntrypointVLD

VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc

LibreELEC:~

It looks like it is missing the profiles for HEVC etc.

• The screen does not switch to HDR when it first loads the stream. So the procedure I mentioned is the only way for me to force HDR, otherwise it will keep playing in SDR. So when I do switch from a playing video to the home screen it will recognize the HDR and switch the display.

This may fix the problem?

CWinSystemGbm: add colourspace connector property by lrusak · Pull Request #21845 · xbmc/xbmc
    This allows setting the Colorspace connector drm propery. This allows specifying the output colorspace and allows tv's to trigger into a specific colorspace…
    github.com
  • This issue has nothing to do with the colorspace. AMD driver doesn't even allow setting the specific colorspace via drm properties.

The Colorspace property is only exposed on intel hardware and vc4 (RPi4).

• Hi all!

Now I'm running Kodi on windows 10 on a NUC8I3BEH. But I'm found out this thread that cheaper mini pc can have HDR too with LE. But what CPUs? Only Gemini Lake and newer or older like Celeron too? Thx!

• Hi all,

I have Gigabyte BriX GB-BEi3-1220 (intel 12th gen) and with the lastest nightly HDR is working but the color space is incorrect its not BT2020 so the colors look very weird. Do i have to enable something?

Also tested Win11 with the same movie there everything is fine 10 or 12 bit with BT2020