HDR on x86 Hardware

• What's the point? YCbCr 4:4:4 is the same as RGB

• I'm just trying to trouble shoot.

I know I can play these files back with corelec at 10bit on my projector, but I don't think it is outputting in RGB, i think it is YCbCr (and bt2020).

RGB 10 bit won't play on my projector for some reason, although it looks like it should be able to, according to the manual (and other people with a similar projector aren't having problems?).

I'm a bit stymied. If I can't figure this out, I think I'm going to try and RMA this NUC.

edit: is the lack of a 10 bit color profile (bt2020) the reason that 10 bit rbg isn't working?

Edited once, last by Noumenon (February 7, 2023 at 5:44 PM).

• I'm just trying to trouble shoot.

I know I can play these files back with corelec at 10bit on my projector, but I don't think it is outputting in RGB, i think it is YCbCr (and bt2020).

RGB 10 bit won't play on my projector for some reason, although it looks like it should be able to, according to the manual (and other people with a similar projector aren't having problems?).

I'm a bit stymied. If I can't figure this out, I think I'm going to try and RMA this NUC.

edit: is the lack of a 10 bit color profile (bt2020) the reason that 10 bit rbg isn't working?

I agree that it should be an option to output YCbCr, why not?

There is no issue with your NUC a new one won’t fix the problem. I’m surprised it’s not working though, as I said I have a JVC X5900 which is the series before before yours. It has no issues with the default signal. However it would be nice to have the option.

• It’s such a mess at the moment, AMD cards etc will output 4:2:2 but HDR support is broken. Intel is the best at the moment but will only output RGB which is ok.

At this point, I'm convinced this NUC11TNKi3 isn't willing to do more than 8-bit video output from HDMI2 (HDMI1 is I think is a displayport).

atoulmin can you tell me exactly which NUC models you have gotten to work with your projector?

• It should boot on NUC11. It boots fine on my Tiger Lake box.

The image was built with -march=tigerlake gcc flag. It would probably be unbootable on non-tigerlake CPUs.

• It should boot on NUC11. It boots fine on my Tiger Lake box.

The image was built with -march=tigerlake gcc flag. It would probably be unbootable on non-tigerlake CPUs.

What about a Nuc 10th gen. I have one of those I can test with

• The image was built with -march=tigerlake gcc flag. It would probably be unbootable on non-tigerlake CPUs.

LE spent a lot of time doing performance testing on chipset specific flags during OE days when our Generic userbase was larger and hardware was somewhat slower that it is today (and thus such flags had greater impact). Our conclusion back then was that the flags do technically make a difference, but the gain is so marginal in the wider context of things that influence system "performance" (esp. I/O performance) that it's not worth the effort. And then we killed off chipset specific builds. The idea (re)surfaces from time to time; mostly among the retro gaming crowd who constantly seek overclocks and optimsations, but (still) never seems to hold up to any real scrutiny..

• LE spent a lot of time doing performance testing on chipset specific flags during OE days when our Generic userbase was larger and hardware was somewhat slower that it is today (and thus such flags had greater impact). Our conclusion back then was that the flags do technically make a difference, but the gain is so marginal in the wider context of things that influence system "performance" (esp. I/O performance) that it's not worth the effort. And then we killed off chipset specific builds. The idea (re)surfaces from time to time; mostly among the retro gaming crowd who constantly seek overclocks and optimsations, but (still) never seems to hold up to any real scrutiny..

I understand, I’m more interested in the YCbCr output. No performance advantages.

• That image was intended for Noumenon for troubleshooting his projector issue with his NUC11. The reason for tigerlake optimization flag is that I use it in my personal builds and I don't really have time to do a clean build with default gcc optimization flags.

• First sorry if this was asked but the beta of kodi (20) + libreelec can handle HDR with a Intel® 630 or this one is not compatible.

If i need to look else where please point me on the righ direction.

Thanks.