Is it possible to export LibreElec-Setting to an USB-Stick ?

• Question:

Is there a simple way to export the settings of 10.0.1 directly to an USB-Stick and then import it back to a new Installation ?

In Detail:

I'm running 10.0.1 from an USB-Stick on my PC.

Now I want to put a SSD inside my Computer an run in from there.

So I want to export only the LibreElec-Settings from the USB-Stick Version directly to another USB-Stick,

remove the LibreElec USB-Stick,

install the SSD into the PC,

make a fresh Install of LibreElec 10.0.1 on the SSD

and then import the saved Settings from the USB-Stick into the LibreElec 10.0.1 Version installed on the SSD.

Nothing will change except the Fact that LibreElec now will run on the same Computer from a SSD and not from an USB-Stick

Edited once, last by Niceguy (January 8, 2022 at 4:13 PM).

• I guess it should go like this:

- create a backup [1] with LE config tool/addon on the stick

- pull off the stick

- install the ssd and on it LE

- plug in the stick

and now either

- point in the LE config tool/addon the "backup restore" to the stick (should be /var/media/<something need to filled in>/....)

or

- copy the backup from the stick to the backup folder on the ssd (~/backup) and restore with LE config tool

- reboot (to activate the restored settings/services)

- check your setting

- create a new backup (now on the ssd)

The "I'm unsure -"part :

- are there special folders for pics/movies/... ?

I guess they should backup by hand (addon "system tools" => MC maybe via ssh'ed in OR with internal filebrowser)

if you're running with special kernel boot parameter, e.g. i915 FW: needs adjustment by hand, caused ironed by the installer

[1]

backup contains:

- ~/.cache with all it's content/settings

- ~/.config with all it's content/settings

- ~/.kodi with all it's content/settings (and I guess the setting for pic/movie libraries too, but not the pics/movies files itself)

Specials:

- if it's a used ssd you should think about secure erase the ssd *before* installing LE (usually with vendor tools)

- if the usb stick is free now you should think about "long format" it under windows

both to get them back to (nearly) initial speed

- run "fstrim -va" via ssh for your ssd from time to time (weekly/monthly)

Edited 2 times, last by GDPR-7 (January 8, 2022 at 5:26 PM).

• I guess it should go like this:

- create a backup [1] with LE config tool/addon on the stick

- pull off the stick

- install the ssd and on it LE

- plug in the stick

Thanks for your Answer,

but how do I "create a backup [1] with LE config tool/addon on the stick" ?

Which Addon do I need ?

I found a simple Solution:

In the System (Settings)-Menu I go to

LibreElec -> System -> Backup -> Create System and Kodi Backup and create a Backup-File

This Backup is a *.Tar File, which is saved in the "Backup"-Folder

Then I go to my Windows-PC, open the Windows-Explorer, select "Network" and it shows me my LibreElec-Installation.

I go to the Backup-Folder and copy the Backup *.Tar-File onto my USB-Stick.

Later, after I had installed the new Version on the SSD I simply copy the File back from the USB-Stick to the "Backup"-Folder, using the Windows-Explorer again.

There is also a Solution where you use the LibreElec File manager, so you don't need another PC, just look here:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And to the Recalbox-Developers:

For me, a "Backup" is a way to restore my System when it had been crashed.

A "Backup" is stored in a save Place (and not on the same Drive of the System you want to Backup) until you need it to restore your System.

So how can I restore the system (Settings), when my HDD, SDD or USB-Stick is damaged, I don't have access to it (and my Backup) anymore and must make a fresh Install ?

I find it stupid to make a "Backup" on the same Drive my System is on.

When I use

LibreElec -> System -> Backup -> Create System and Kodi Backup

why is the Backup-File only going to the "Backup"-Folder, and why can 't I decide where I want to put my Backup (for example maybe an USB-Stick) so that I can keep it at a save place ?

• When I use

LibreElec -> System -> Backup -> Create System and Kodi Backup

why is the Backup-File only going to the "Backup"-Folder, and why can 't I decide where I want to put my Backup (for example maybe an USB-Stick) so that I can keep it at a save place ?

couldn't you ?! :angel:

• I didn't give me some choice

what happens if you tap/click/select and hit enter the two white points in the backup tool window ? [1]

hint: two points in linux means the upper directory

Questions:

as you said you're running LE from an usb stick, where is the need to move the backup file (at this point) ?

isn't the backup directory not already on the same usb stick too ?

or better:

the backup directory is one entry of the directory structure of a running LE and in this case: on the usb stick

so, aren't you already done with creating the backup in it's default backup directory (which *is* already on the usb stick) and pulling the stick after you powered the box down ?

[1]

there seems to be a bug regarding the cancel-button in that window: a backup is in any case created

at least here on (yesterdays) nightly