Cant update LibreELEC on Chromebox CB1-020no "Error in check_update: mount_common: Could not mount /storage/.update/.tmp/mnt/SYSTEM"

• Hi.

I bought a used Chromebox CB1-020no with LibreELEC 8.2.5 preinstalld.

I tried to update to LibreELEC 10.0.1 and 9.97.1 but same error.

I have used libreELEC usb creator to download the files.

I have put the file in the update folder and after restart this error comes up.

I have used google but i cant find any answers.

So i tried to boot on Ubuntu via usb, but cant find the usb boot in the UEFI.

And i cant find information on how to delete the old LibreELEC and install a new one.

• Questions:

1. Chromebox CB1-020no translates to "HP Chromebox CB1-020no PC" ?

HP Chromebox CB1-020no PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

2. you need a generic LE image, then ?

I can't tell much to the specific error, but what happens when you type "mount" or a "df -h" in that debugging shell ?

regarding 2.:

IIRC, the direct jump from LE 8.2.5 to LE 10 wasn't suggested, e.g. somewhere between the releases a "fresh install" was indicated.

regarding 1.:

- surfing the HP website -

HP Chromebox CB1-020no PC (ENERGY STAR) Troubleshooting | HP® Customer Support

=> https://support.hp.com/sg-en/product/…ument/c04355990

- I would first check what's up with the device (bought from someone foreign ?)

- maybe a HW reset to maybe get USB booting [1]

[1]

i couldn't figure it out, cause the links to the manuals are pointing to nothing/nowhere (at least here)

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (January 2, 2022 at 9:17 AM).

• And the suggested the LibreELEC forum.

Will try those commands and another older version of LibreELEC.

I do not use the Chrome OS so i dont think HP will be mush help, only run LibreELEC.

• I do not use the Chrome OS so i dont think HP will be mush help, only run LibreELEC.

my intention was to esp. check the storage and when HP has buildin routines, why not use them. [1]

I've read some of this devices have emmc storage and that this typ of storage might elder/wear out quicker, don't know...

You told nothing about the state of the device.

you bought it used and I guess from someone foreign ?!

my first check with hardware (regardless if new, but even when used) is to see what's up with it !

afterwards I know what I can do with it and what not, e.g. install another OS on it, etc.

see your usb boot problem:

- does the devices usually do it ?

- if yes: why now not ?

- why was the device sold ??? (old, too slow, damaged with the same problem *you* have now ?)

[1]

if the device were usb bootable you could use SysRescueCD to do some checks eg.g smartctl

• I have used it for a year, has worked fine but i like to update LibreELEC now, or just reset all data and settings, but cant find the way.

Yes it was from some one foreign.

The usbports works fine in LibreELEC.

I have one more just like it but have not update that far.

It was sold because it was not used any more, the owner went over to streaming.

• ... i like to update LibreELEC now, or just reset all data and settings, but cant find the way.

yup, then as mglae mentioned: the first page of his link in comment #3:

read the header of the page

and then:

=> "For a standalone setup, you will need to perform the following steps:"

No ?!

esp.: "Open the ChromeBox and remove the write-protect screw"

Urrgghh ...

write-protection could cause the error you see, I guess ...

Edited once, last by GDPR-7 (January 2, 2022 at 4:14 PM).

• As long you are not able to boot from USB you should not delete the LE system on the HDD.

The recommended update path is 8.2.x -> 9.2.6 -> 10.0.1.

• Ok. It worked with 9.0.2 -> 9.2.6 -> 10.0.1 Thanks for the inputs.

In this version i found the Hard Reset function to reset everything, did not find any LibreELEC menu in the 8.2.5 i had.

• As long you are not able to boot from USB you should not delete the LE system on the HDD.

just out of interest and to learn.

Why ?

following your link you provided and dive into it, esp. this one:

Archive:Chromebox - Official Kodi Wiki

it seems to me that I ever could get the device running LE as long as I get a network connection (some more work involved, though)

- install the Kodi E-Z Setup Script

- install with it "ChromeOS + LibreELEC" (dual boot, though)

no need for USB boot

No ?

• no theme !

just to get a working solution for the users asking for help or better: "enough help that they could help themself and others too"

and of cause

"teamwork is essential. it allows to blame someone else"

8o