NFS performance issue

• the Ethernet interface is not the issue

using Samba everything works fine

Hi JurKub - agree - I don't think it is the ethernet card / cabling / ... itself either. Just trying to isolate the Kernel Settings / Drivers / ....
    Given the number of changes all happening - think that "a regression" may be a possibility. I just don't know where to look as such. E.G is it sending / receiving / window size / UDP / TCP / ....
    what does

``time cp /nfs/abc /ramdisk/

take ... etc

• Guys thx for your passion :)

I believe it's an rsize / wsize issue of the Raspi NFS Server

Nevertheless what I enter on client site using mount for rsize and wsize the value don't change :(

For me it looks like it is hard coded into the Raspi NFS Server or I'm to stupid to find the way to change it :cry:

NFS mount (rsize=131072,wsize=131072)

Code
    10.0.0.53:/srv/vdr/video on /storage/videos type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=131072,wsize=131072,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.0.0.53,mountvers=3,mountproto=tcp,local_lock=none,addr=10.0.0.53)

Samba mount (rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576)

Code
    //10.0.0.53/recordings on /storage/recordings type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=2.1,cache=strict,username=vdr,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=10.0.0.53,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)
  • I believe it's an rsize / wsize issue of the Raspi NFS Server

Nevertheless what I enter on client site using mount for rsize and wsize the value don't change

did you read in the link to nfs from comment #15 the chapter "Transport Methodes" ?

to it seems UDP, TCP, wsize, rsize, MTU are depending on each other...

maybe a stupid hint: changing the the config file on the server needs a restart of the server

some more links:

NFS — Performance Tuning on Linux
    How to optimize NFS performance on Linux with kernel tuning and appropriate mount and service options on the server and clients.
    cromwell-intl.com

Optimizing NFS Performance

• some questions:

1. did your lan setup ever run or is it a regression ( I esp. mean: simultaneous recording and replaying) ?

2. you said running SMB is fine, why don't run SMB [3.1 ?!] only ?

3. why are you shoveling big data through an LAN ?

I esp. mean when all 4 satellites on the intel box are recording

why not store the data where they first appear (at the intel box) ?

4. what does the network traffic and the CPU load on an PI look like when doing 4x recording *and* 4x replaying concurrently (!) ?

did you checked it with htop, etc. ?

- I've no idea from PI or FHEM or VDR) -

5. but isn't the intel box a lot more potent then the PI and wouldn't it make more sense to run a NFS server on the intel box too and in the dependence of what OS is currently running on the intel to maybe use a newer version of NFS (4.x) / kernel ? [1]

[1]

newer mostly means "better", but the opposite might also be true (sometimes it is, but sometimes only !)

I guess you're nailed with an aged kernel on the PI ?

I've read newer kernels benefiting from more throughput ...

I've currently also no idea if NFS 4.x provides any benefit over 3.x, but usually a newer version fixes the bugs/shortcommings in an elder version ... (sometimes :saint: )

or I'm to stupid to find the way to change it

/etc/nfsmount.conf

see:

https://linux.die.net/man/5/nfsmount.conf

clear (?): adjusting {r,w}size => no need to provide them as mount option (client) - I would like to say - dito: Proto, etc.

===

btw.: google is also a search engine :cool:

Edited 3 times, last by GDPR-7: Merged a post created by JoeAverage into this post. (November 23, 2021 at 6:51 PM).

• fhemraspi:~ # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem

4096 16384 4194304

fhemraspi:~ # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem

4096 131072 6291456

fhemraspi:~ # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_window_scaling