10.0.1 - 4K and DTS playback issue

• Hello all, I mentinoed this in an another thread but came back with some more data. First, the log: http://ix.io/3EhN

Basically, 4K files with DTS\DTS HD soundtracks go out of out sync after a few minutes and become unwatchable. I've swtiched over to using a sigle HDMI directly through my soundbar yet that still chokes the system. On the other hand, files with Dolby HD audio even with HDR play flawlessly. With my limited knowledge on the topic, it's either a DTS issue or bandwith (files are not compressed in anyway, played from my NAS). Any help or ideas welcome!

• Yes, even with the default skin. By pure read speed, I still should have enough overhead.

My NAS averages at 10 MB\s read speed.

A 4K file I'm trying to play with 57 Mb\s video steam spped with DTS is stuttering.

A file at 60Mb\s with Dolby HD and HDR is giving me no issues.

I've also played the same problematic file directly from a USB directly connected to the Pi 4. It mostly fixed the issue but there were still some stuttering to be found.

• You're still at log level 0. So...

Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • PS: The current log says that LE can't handle dtsHD correctly:

Code
    2021-11-07 18:09:40.470 T:949      INFO <general>: CAEStreamParser::SyncDTS - dtsHD MA stream detected (8 channels, 48000Hz, 16bit BE, period: 8192, syncword: 0x41a29547, target rate: 0x18, framesize 2100))
    2021-11-07 18:09:40.470 T:949      INFO <general>: CVideoPlayerAudio: display reset occurred, checking for passthrough
    2021-11-07 18:09:40.470 T:949      INFO <general>: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86020, channels: 8, sample rate: 48000, pass-through)
    2021-11-07 18:09:40.472 T:830      INFO <general>: CActiveAESink::OpenSink - initialize sink
    2021-11-07 18:09:40.472 T:830      INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device "hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0"
    2021-11-07 18:09:40.476 T:949     ERROR <general>: CAEStreamInfo::GetDuration - invalid stream type
    2021-11-07 18:09:40.478 T:830      INFO <general>: Skipped 1 duplicate messages..

The "display reset" is weired. Maybe your HDMI cable doesn't support high data rate, which is definitely the case when playing 4K / dtsHD. Make sure your HDMI cable is conform to HDMI 2.0 / 2.1 standard.

• The "display reset" is weired. Maybe your HDMI cable doesn't support high data rate, which is definitely the case when playing 4K / dtsHD. Make sure your HDMI cable is conform to HDMI 2.0 / 2.1 standard.

Thanks for that. I checked, both cables are marked as 'High Speed'. As I use both HDMI outputs, I swapped the two cables around, tried using one directly into the soundbar but the issue still persits in some way or another

. I have lowered the UI resolution from 1080 to 720 and... it feels a bit better? Could placebo though.

• Thanks. Could be a DRM Prime issue:

I'll ping a dev...

• A little research says that "HDMI High-Speed" is lower than HDMI 2.0. Because you have several "display reset" messages on your logs, I highly recommend to use an "HDMI Premium High-Speed" cable, which is available as HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.1 variant.

• Please provide a short sample file (1 minute or so) that has this issue. Also please test that if the issue occurs too when playing from a local USB drive to rule out network/nfs issues.

so long,

Hias

• Here's the latest:

• Playing just DTS (rather than DTS-HD) still doesn't play smoothly
    • Playing DTS-HD from a drive directly connected to the device, success!

So I guess a bandwidth problem with my NAS/nfs?

I don't know the specifics between DTS and Dolby but Dolby True HD 4K files play from the NAS without any issues.