LE 9.2 on RP 2B - Refuses to see any SMB shares....

• Hello everyone. :)

I was using OpenELEC 7.0.1 till the sd card died. I can go back to another image of that, but I thought I would try out LibreELEC as I hear most of the developers from OE moved to LE anyway.

Pi2 B v1.1

Boots fine on the pie, but it refuses to see any of the SMB shares on the LAN.

As a little test, I imaged another SD card with OE 7.0.1, booted that, and it can navigate to the SMB shares fine, so the servers are there and should be able to be seen by LE.

Back on the LE card, I then made sure that minimum SMB version was 1, maximum is SMB2.

Just in case my NAS boxes were SMB1 or something.

Anyone got any ideas of things I can try to make LE see the NAS?

NAS boxes are built around Puppy Linux, using Samba Simple Sharing to share the mount point of the volumes.

Windoze can see the NAS boxes, other Linux boxes like Mint can see the NAS boxes, but LE refuses to.

When you go into FILE MANAGER/ADD SOURCE/BROWSE/WINDOWS NETWORK(SMB), all I can see is the option to go back up a step.

The workgroup or any of the shares are simply not visible or selectable at that point, and usually they are.

In the old OE 7.0.1, I would have selected WORKGROUP followed by the name of the NAS box I wanted to add, then I would be prompted for a username and password for that NAS box, but I cannot get that far in LE, as it does not give me any choices past entering into the Windows Network(SMB) section of things.

Anyone got any pointers?

• SMBv1 has been deprecated (finally) by Microsoft, because the Swiss-cheese sized security holes in the file protocol.

SMBv2 is stricter, requires user credentials that must include a password, and network browsing has been disabled.

Kodi still supports SMBv1, but you'll need to change the settings in the Settings / System / Services / SMB Client / Minimal Protocol version.

When adding new sources, use the "Add network location.." option and enter all necessary credentials manually.

• The default dialect for SMB is v2, so if you configure min=v1/max=v2 in the Kodi SMB client it will use v2 and Kodi will not be able to connect to a v1 share; the client is allowed to auto-negotie version upgrade but not downgrade. If you need to use v1 you will need to configure both min=v1 and max=v1, then the client is forced to use v1.