DVD issues

• Hi all,

I recently connected an external DVD to my Libreelec 9.2.8 system installed on a Raspberry Pi 4. I use a powered USB hub, as without it was not usable. However I have some issues with some DVDs (not all): on the one hand the image is choppy, it seems as playing speeds are slightly variable. The other issue is that the audio track is not in sync, I need to compensate the audio in the audio settings.

Anyone any advice?

Cheers!

BC

• on the one hand the image is choppy, it seems as playing speeds are slightly variable

That is always the case with DVDs and CDROM discs. The rotational speed is different when the reading heads are at the outer tracks versus when they are at the inner tracks. The overall DVD throughput should be enough for USB2.0 connection. Choppy images can also come from damaged discs (error correcting that is active).

The question is also a bit: how "big" are the choppy moments, and how often do they happen? Every second, minute?

The other issue is that the audio track is not in sync, I need to compensate the audio in the audio settings.

That's what the audio settings are for... If you only or mostly do DVD discs, you can make default audio/video offset changes in the advancedsettings.xml file.

• Hi Klojum,

thanks for your reaction. With the DVD I am currently watching the choppyness is constant. That same DVD on another device is playing OK. The audio offset is also different from that of a different DVD I tested. In the same DVD I also had to adjust the audio offset several times.

So it seems to go everywhere with this problem. If I find my other USB DVD player I will try that one.

So there are no real settings I can change to better things? Would it be wise to upgrade to Libreelec 10 for this particular problem?

Cheers,

BC

• So, I replaced my Pi with a regular PC with an internal DVD. No more problems with playing DVDs. I do have to choose the right skin, otherwise the DVD is not shown when loaded.

BC