iperf instead of iperf3

• Hello folks,

Linux & LibreElec novice here. I got my Pi4 this weekend and installed LibreElec 9.2.8. I was trying to measure the network performance between the Pi and my NAS. My NAS (DLink DNS-323) is pretty dated and I could only find ways to get iperf running on it, couldn't get iperf3 on it. I installed the network addon for Libreelec and saw that iperf is part of the package and was a bit relived. However I was a bit disappointed when I ran it though.

It appears both iperf and iperf3 installed as part of the addon are indeed both iperf3. Is there a way I can install/get iperf on my PI?

• Go to Best Answer
  • If you really want to watch iperf(1) install docker and pull a container with the right version inside. I'll leave you to ponder on whether the need for docker on the host will consume CPU that could otherwise be directed towards maintaining Ethernet performance; e.g. whether or not you are the cause of observer effect ;)

I'd also comment that you can test by playing a movie. If the movie plays fine your HTPC + NAS + Network combo is "fast enough" to watch movies and you don't need to obsess about whether the NAS is achieving best-in-class or mediocre performance. Watching movies is more fun than watching iperf (any version).

• You can often copy binary files from RPiOS to LE, as long as they don't depend on non-standard libraries.

I've just checked and "sudo apt install perf" on RPiOS then copy /usr/bin/iperf to LE and it seems to run fine there.

• Yep, that's exactly what I did. I had run iperf previously on my osmc install and just copied it from there.

P.S: Shouldn't this get fixed in the networks addon though? Either remove iperf or have actual iperf as part of it?