RPi4 and LE10

• I'm trying to set up my new RPi4 with LE10 and Kodi and having lots of difficulty. The current configuration is:

RPi4

Argone One case (not downloaded and set up their app yet)

600GB USB 3.0 HDD (the final configuration will be a 6TB HDD)

Logitec wireless keyboard/mouse combo

I have tried both with LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0.0.img.gz and LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211002-c373397.img.gz

The major problem is fast forward and rewind not working. If I FF a few minutes and press P the screen freezes. X will work to exit but that's it. If I hit space to pause it and then P it will, sometimes, resume playing correctly. I tried unhooking the 6TB drive off my current RPi3/Kodi (where it works fine) plugging into the RPi4 to see if I needed a powered drive but the results were the same. I also tried a USB memory stick (16GB) and that works impeccably. Not sure I can afford (or find) a 6TB SSD.

Is there a setting somewhere that might help?

Just discovered that the Panasonic TV remote will not control Kodi at all on the RPi4

Edited once, last by LybsterKodi (October 10, 2021 at 3:14 PM).

• Can anyone throw me a lifeline? I've now tried

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.1.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.8.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.97.1.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0.0.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211002-c373397.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211008-8696f6d.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211010-4ec2af6.img.gz

It seems to be that I can get sound through HDMI or the FF & rewind working but not both and in none of them does the TV remote work.

I've adjusted what settings I can see that I think might help but without beneficial effect.

I'm beginning to feel that I should just bin c£100 worth of kit and go back to RPi3 which worked. I'm hoping that there are people out there with a full working setup. If so can you please let me know what version I should burn to the micro SD card.

• As there's no HDMI CEC standard in fact and usually it's a nightmare to make it working stable & reliably, I would recommend to configure IR Remote Control on LibreELEC to be independent of your TV.

Look here for more information (you don't need Harmony, any IR RC should be suitable, even the same you are using for your TV - just configure the key mapping accordingly).

Skripo
    January 28, 2021 at 1:47 PM
  • I'm reaching the point where I read "Argon case" and some combination of audio/video problem and I skip ahead to the next thread.

Get a flirc USB device and use any remote you like. You won't regret it.

• ghtester

I can sort of see where you're coming from but how is going down that route any better than continuing to use a wireless keyboard and having a separate remote for the TV?

chewitt

I'm reaching the point where I read "Argon case" and some combination of audio/video problem and I skip ahead to the next thread.

Can you tell me why? Are you suggesting that if I replace the Argon case it will solve my FF & rewind problem or that they've screwed up in moving the HDMI ports to the back and that is preventing my remote being recognised?

Get a flirc USB device and use any remote you like. You won't regret it.

OK I looked on Amazon and its c£30. Will replacing the wireless keyboard with one of these resolve my FF & rewind problem?

FF & rewind controlled via wireless keybord works perfectly on a USB memory stick, but doesn't work correctly on USB HDD. Can this be attributed to the Argon since the USB ports aren't rewired? I'm quite willing to take the RPi4 out of the Argon case but if I do and want to put it back I'll need to buy some thermal strip which means waiting for it to be delivered so I'm trying to avoid it if not necessary.

Just tested the latest nightly - same problems. Wether it helps or not I don't know but when I press F the position bar (don't know what else to call it) and speed counter are shown at the top of the screen not the bottom, and the extra bits (eg information) are not shown at all. Sometimes pressing P or space seems to move the bar to the bottom and display the additional icons

Edited 2 times, last by LybsterKodi (October 12, 2021 at 12:01 PM).

• I can sort of see where you're coming from but how is going down that route any better than continuing to use a wireless keyboard and having a separate remote for the TV?

OK, sorry I did not get your use case properly (as the very first post did not point out the wireless keyboard is the only control device you are using). I thought your issue could be related to HDMI CEC & TV Remote Control through which you are sending FF & REW commands to LibreELEC. As you mentioned Argon One case which is well designed for using IR Remote Control, I supposed the outlined solution could be suitable for you. I don't use keyboard with LE, from my point of view it's not necessary with properly customized IR Remote Control (yes I have REW and FF buttons there). I am sure I could use your Panasonic TV remote with LE without any issue.

But if your wireless keyboard functionality depends on attached devices, it's possible there's a HW issue which you need to discover. It could be even a noise generated by external HDD which breaks wireless transfers etc... Hard to say.

Edited 2 times, last by ghtester (October 12, 2021 at 12:40 PM).

• ghtester

Thanks for trying to help.

I'm using the Logitech wireless keyboard whilst I set things up and get them working. Then I have a mini wireless keyboard that currently adorns my RPi3 that's for film playback, not TV recording will be transferred to the RPi4. I prefer a keyboard since coming from an IT background I'm happy with a keyboard and I can do more with it than the remote. My wife on the other hand uses the remote and claims she can't see the letters on the keycaps on the mini keyboard - much to complicated :)

I think I'm just trying a little early in the LibreElec/Kodi development cycle and am considering removing the TV HAT from my RPi3 and putting the Haupagge tuner on that for the next 3 - 6 months. Shame because I wanted to tidy things up and move from the 2 x RPi3Bs and cables everywhere. The Argon case is good for that with the cables coming from the back.

• You don't mention which kind of wireless communication is your Logitech keyboard/mouse using. If it has a proprietary USB stick, try to connect it through an USB extension cable (I know you wish to eliminate cables everywhere, but at least for test) so the stick will be far from RPi / external HDD. And test if it's better. I can imagine that such devices, using a very low power wireless protocol, can be sensitive to high-frequency noise that some devices / components may be producing. Also I would try to replace a battery in your kbd with a fresh one.

Shortly - if your LE on RPi 4B works with wired USB keyboard (and I am sure any mentioned LE package works), it's not a software issue but more likely a wireless device's issue, in combination with some hardware used. Of course if only REW and FF keys are NOT working properly and all other keys works fine, I may be completely wrong... /shrug

• Latest update - still have the problems.

chewitt: I've taken the RPi4 out of the Argon case and it made no difference.

OSs I've tried so far:

LibreElec

OSMC

XBian

All with Kodi (19.1 I think)

I've tried with and without the Argon One case. With WiFi keyboard, with wired keyboard, films on USB memory stick, films on USB HDD.

Most of the time has been spent on LibreElec and there I've tried:

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.1.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.2.8.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.97.1.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0.0.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211002-c373397.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211008-8696f6d.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211010-4ec2af6.img.gz

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211011-27d9660.img.gz

The 20211011 nightly did get some of the keys on my TV remote working, but not FF & rewind.

The only things I haven't changed are the Pi's power supply, the TV and the RPi4

Anyone with suggestions apart from wait and keep trying the nightlies?

• I think I've identified the problem - I went searching on KODI's forum and found a reference to it having trouble with seek on H.264 format so I tried some stuff I'd recorded on a laptop which was in ts format. FF & reverse worked fine on the ts files but not the mp4 files.

Converting all my mp4 files to ts or mkv format is not a viable option - any suggestions?

• I never use FF or REW, I just use the Skip function. On my AVR remote, which I also use to control Kodi, it is accessed with the left and right cursor buttons. It might achieve the same result for you and it works OK on my LE10/RPi4/ArgonOne setup.