Flash BIOS from LibreELEC?

• Hi all,

The TLDR summary of my question: is there a way to update or reflash the BIOS from within LibreELEC?

I have encountered a bizarre problem where I am unable to access the BIOS on my Intel NUC (D54250WYK). The NUC is currently running LibreELEC from a 120GB Samsung SSD. I am trying to install Windows 10 on it, but I cannot access the BIOS to change the boot order menu and boot from an USB stick.

The problem appeared after I disabled the Legacy Boot option in the BIOS by mistake. Ever since then, I no longer see the start-up menu asking me to press F2, F8 or F10. One of two things happens: (1) if I press F2 or any of the other button on start-up, the NUC doesn’t boot at all, with the fan spinning but no signal to the monitor, or (2) if I don’t press any buttons on start-up, the NUC boots straight into LibreELEC, without showing the usual BIOS access screen on start-up.

If I take out the SSD with LibreELEC on it, the result is the same as in (1), i.e. the NUC doesn’t boot and there is no signal to the monitor.

I have tried every hardware reset option I could think of, including leaving the CMOS battery unplugged and the motherboard jumper in the reset position overnight. None of it has made a difference and I have not been able to get into the BIOS.

Seeing as the NUC can still boot into LibreELEC, I was wondering if there is a way to update or reflash the BIOS from within LibreELEC itself? Maybe that could resurrect the start-up menu to allow me to access the BIOS and change the boot order options.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

• I was wondering if there is a way to update or reflash the BIOS from within LibreELEC itself?

not direct, but you don't need to install Windows to flash the Bios !

just get the WY0054.bio on an USB Stick

BIOS Update [WYLPT10H]
    Options for updating the BIOS of Intel® NUC Kit D54250WY and D34010WY, and Intel® NUC Board D54250WYB and D34010WYB.
    www.intel.com

and boot with F7-Key

- if you managed to get the box reacting on any Keys during boot, see comment #2 -

BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUC with Visual BIOS
    Instructions for the BIOS update options available for Intel® NUC products.
    www.intel.com

click on "F7 Update"