Installing Libreelec via PXE

• Hi.

I have a laptop that doesn't have a screen connected to it because someone drove over it. I had been using it as as is with Libreelec installed and connected to my TV. It worked perfectly fine. Then I updated and my addons weren't working as well anymore. So I formatted the drive in another PC, created a bootable flash drive and tried to reinstall an older version but because there is no monitor connected I can't get into the bios or boot menu to select the flash drive. Initially I can see some text on the screen, like amount of RAM and so on but I can't get into the boot menu or bios so the laptop tries to boot via PXE and when it fails, it says invalid system disk or some jazz like that.

I installed it via flash drive before, but for some reason, it isn't working this time. Can anyone provide a walkthrough on how to install Libreelec via PXE? I've tried using Serva with no luck so far. I'm going to try in the morning again though.

TIA.

• It's only trying to boot to PXE because it didn't find anything else to boot from. Network boot (PXE) is generally the last thing it tries.

So either you didn't create the bootable USB correctly, the laptop didn't detect the USB, or the BIOS boot sequence is not set correctly.

Have you checked to see if the USB is bootable in another computer?

Is the laptop still connected to the TV when you try to boot from the USB? If so, there is usually a key combination on the laptop to switch from laptop screen to external display.

Good luck.

• Forgot to mention that I've tried that too. The laptop just hangs at a blank screen.

Theoretically the installation can only differ on legacy BIOS CHS values. But I do not expect this to be an issue today.

Which notebook? Which LE image?

The installation image can directly be written to the HD using an imaging tool. Change DEFAULT installer to DEFAULT run in /syslinux.cfg to boot a persistent system.

For PXE booting see https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/network-boot. I don't know if someone already did this with windows.

• It's only trying to boot to PXE because it didn't find anything else to boot from. Network boot (PXE) is generally the last thing it tries.

So either you didn't create the bootable USB correctly, the laptop didn't detect the USB, or the BIOS boot sequence is not set correctly.

Have you checked to see if the USB is bootable in another computer?

Is the laptop still connected to the TV when you try to boot from the USB? If so, there is usually a key combination on the laptop to switch from laptop screen to external display.

Good luck.

The bootable works fine on my personal laptop. It is detected because the LED flashes and I have booted a live USB of xubuntu with it. I can't change the boot sequence because the BIOS is not displayed on my TV even if I press the key combination to switch to the external display.

• Theoretically the installation can only differ on legacy BIOS CHS values. But I do not expect this to be an issue today.

Which notebook? Which LE image?

The installation image can directly be written to the HD using an imaging tool. Change DEFAULT installer to DEFAULT run in /syslinux.cfg to boot a persistent system.

For PXE booting see https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/network-boot. I don't know if someone already did this with windows.

It's a HP 620 and the image is this one LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2.6.img.gz. I tried your suggested but all I get is Non-System disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready. I know the hard drive works because I installed Windows on it today.