Flash Directory Read Only

• Linux LibreELEC 4.19.127 #1 Sat Oct 24 14:01:23 EDT 2020 armv6l GNU/Linux

R-Pi 1 512MB

Composite Connection to TV

Folks, new to LibreElec but not new to R-Pi and Kodi.

Having installed LibreElec I have a few issues with display, I adjust the video calibration to suit my older monitor but on reboot it reverts and I have to go through the same procedure to adjust the display, it does not appear to retain my settings.

If I ssh into device I notice the conventional 'boot' partition is called 'flash'. I do not appear to be able to edit the config.txt file, it reports it is a Read Only file system. Now baffled with that as the login is root and the file ownership seems to be root too. Is this normal as there doesn't appear to be a sudo option?

Strangely if I insert the card into another PC I am then able to edit the config.txt file but it would be easier to do this via an ssh connection.

Geoff

• If I ssh into device I notice the conventional 'boot' partition is called 'flash'. I do not appear to be able to edit the config.txt file, it reports it is a Read Only file system.

This is as per design of LibreELEC, so certain people such as toddlers who are aspiring hackers, will not be able to mess up LE's system files that easily.

LibreELEC is built on a very plain-vanilla Linux kernel, and yes, it has only one user: root. Hence there is also no need for "sudo", also because LibreELEC is not based on any Linux distro. You can also change the default SSH password, should you find this necessary.

If I ssh into device I notice the conventional 'boot' partition is called 'flash'. I do not appear to be able to edit the config.txt file, it reports it is a Read Only file system. Now baffled with that as the login is root and the file ownership seems to be root too. Is this normal as there doesn't appear to be a sudo option?

Strangely if I insert the card into another PC I am then able to edit the config.txt file but it would be easier to do this via an ssh connection.

You can edit directly via SSH but as Klojum says it's (somewhat) protected against tampering.

How-to is found here: https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/config_txt

• Also, the thing is that whatever you edit in the /flash folder(s), will be wiped after a LibreELEC update or downgrade.

So perhaps doublecheck if you can use the /storage folder instead for whatever you are planning.

Video calibration settings should be stored in the guisettings.xml file, which is located in the /storage/.kodi/userdata/ folder.

• Also, the thing is that whatever you edit in the /flash folder(s), will be wiped after a LibreELEC update or downgrade.

So perhaps doublecheck if you can use the /storage folder instead for whatever you are planning.

Video calibration settings should be stored in the guisettings.xml file, which is located in the /storage/.kodi/userdata/ folder.

Good advice, thanks.

Geoff

Thanks Klojum, with a bit of trial and error managed to note settings needed for correct display then using nano entered settings directly in to guisettings.xml file.

Plus was totally unaware that /flash is mounted as read only but now able to deal with that.

An old 2USB Pi now able to receive TV streamed over the network. Technology, fascinating.

Geoff