s905x Color/Contrast Bug or ??? - 7.0.2.00x

• Hardware: x96 s905x 2G/16G running 7.0.2.005-009, Emerson LCD 60hz 1080P Black Stretch-ON, Auto Contrast-OFF, Auto Ambient-OFF, all other controls centered.

Affects: All output on HDMI including Video and GUI.

Symptoms: Display goes from very dark to way too saturated and "contrasty" depending on the content displayed. The controls for Brightness and Contrast do have an effect, but cannot rectify the issues seen.

I have been using a s805 box with the 7.0 builds for some time with no problem other than lackluster performance. This issue only effects my s905x box with all other factors being the same.

Main clues are that setting the Brightness control in Kodi to anything lower than 50% causes the screen to washout to nothing but white and green. Values above 50% work as expected. Also, the contrast control seems to only affect the white and green range. Please see the following pics. Note that the pic where the controls are set to 50/50 looks OKish here, in person it is very, very over saturated and very "contrasty" for lack of a better term.

Aside from adjusting the TV and Kodi controls I have also experimented with the sysfs controls in /sys/class/video, amhdmitx, amvecm et al. Changing from limited to full color range has only a very minor effect.

If anyone has any clues at all that might point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. This build is flawless for me in every other way. I haven't found any other mentions of anything like this here or in the OE forums. Weird!

Brightness 50% - Contrast 50%

Brightness 49% - Contrast 50%

Brightness 50% - Contrast 1%

Edited once, last by Jaaxx (November 10, 2016 at 2:13 PM).

• Can you try turning off HDR? echo 0 > /sys/module/am_vecm/parameters/hdr_mode

Unfortunately, no change. I have tried several different cables as well.

It's really odd that the screen goes white at at any negative value in /sys/class/amvecm/brightness1.
    [hr]
    I have a dtb.img file from a firmware that was released on 11/08/16. Tried using that and it works fine, but no change in the video issue. dtb.img HERE
    [hr]
    [hr]
    Hmmm... doing some reading on HDR and this sounds promising. Any way to disable this at boot time?

Edited once, last by Jaaxx (November 11, 2016 at 11:57 PM).