Advantages of LE over Windows

• I have been using LE on a pc for a few months and the truth is that I am very happy and I would like to know all the advantages it has compared to using it under Windows.

• Official Post

I would like to know all the advantages it has compared to using it under Windows.

LibreELEC itself does not run under Windows. It has its own small Linux operating system, so it's not a simple application that you can run under Windows. You will need to install Kodi itself in Windows if you want to use it that way.

Kodi vs LibreELEC... Windows is a bulky full-blown OS that requires at least 20-30 GB these days, LibreELEC only has the bare necessities to run Kodi and runs off a 512MB partition + storage of 4GB (basically a USB stick). Windows has an internet browser, LE does not (really) IMO. Apart from, you yourself will know what you use Windows for.

• LibreELEC itself does not run under Windows. It has its own small Linux operating system, so it's not a simple application that you can run under Windows. You will need to install Kodi itself in Windows if you want to use it that way.

Kodi vs LibreELEC... Windows is a bulky full-blown OS that requires at least 20-30 GB these days, LibreELEC only has the bare necessities to run Kodi and runs off a 512MB partition + storage of 4GB (basically a USB stick). Windows has an internet browser, LE does not (really) IMO. Apart from, you yourself will know what you use Windows for.

Yes, I know that LE is an operating system in itself, I have been using it for a few months, I was referring to what advantages over video playback it has with respect to windows and over hardware, for example, using LE in an nvme does not increase the temperature like using windows?

• I run both LE and Kodi / Windows, my thoughts:

1. Picture quality is equivalent (Windows required tweaking with the almost unusable and incomprehensible Graphics Command Center - thanks Intel).

2. On my NUC7 & 8, both are smooth and fluid with heavy skins, and play all h264 content perfectly.

3. Scraping is actually faster under Windows (both are using the same NAS with SMB v2).

4. I haven't noticed Windows Kodi running any warmer than LE on the same hardware.

5. One Windows benefit for me:

- My audio is only 2 channel stereo, Kodi > HDMI > Samsung TV > optical TOSLINK > SMSL Q5 Pro 2 channel DAC/amp, with no L/R balance adjustment. In Windows I can adjust L/R balance in Windows audio, but LE lacks that feature. I've tried using alsamixer but with no success.

I switch back and forth between boxes as my mood takes me, but both Windows Kodi and LE work great for me.