HDMI0: 4K video on TV - HDMI: audio on Receiver - All looks good in GUI, no sound - Works with FHD TV

• Hello,

Due to logistical issues, I come with no logs at all, so this is more a question on principles. I'm bracing for "no logs, no problem!"

Running L10 nightly (20210424) on RPi4 4 GB.

HDMI0 connected to TV

HDMI1 connected to Denon AVR-2310 receiver (a 1.4 model that won't deal with 4K HDR or ARC, let alone eARC)

The goal of dual heading is the classic avoidance of a receiver upgrade...

Case with 4K HDR TV - Sony XH90

TV and receiver turned on and set to proper inputs before powering the RPi to avoid EDID issues.

Drool-worthy 4K HDR video. Wooooo!

All the audio settings, Normal and passthrough, show the availability of the Sony TV and Denon receiver. I chose the Denon receiver.

I get no sound. No GUI sound, no passthrough.

I've reset my receiver's processor and completely, no positive result.

Case with old 1080p TV - Some Toshiba from 2007

Only the TV is different from the above.

The receiver produces all the sound, GUI and passthrough.

Riiiiiiight.... I know, no logs... I promise to generate them properly, full pastekodi and all, full EDID info, etc. if/when I can logistically put the 4K TV back in play. I fully that this is the only way to make real progress.

But!

Is there any known issue that I should be aware of?

When/if I can get the 4K TV back, is there anything in particular that I should be careful with? Any trick? Any specific data that I could collect outside of a pastekodi or 2 with debug logs and EDID?

Thanks!

• Take a read through following thread may provided pointers, maybe Denon AVR-2310 doesn't know what to do with Audio only HDMI input?

thedogg
    January 2, 2021 at 9:27 PM

And I would read through AVR manual carefully as perhaps you need to make HDMI setting adjustments on the AVR?

telecharge.php?pdf=Denon-AVR-2310-Owners-Manual.pdf

Edited once, last by MikeKL (April 25, 2021 at 5:43 PM).

• MikeKL you make a valid point.

Well, up to the moment when the same sort of setup works with a different TV, hence my head scratching...

I had gone through that thread already, but will do again, I may have missed an important bit.

• Riiiight...

I've started collecting the pastekodis with debug logs, EDIDs, etc. for single headed and dual headed using the old 1080p TV.

That way a good chunk of work is already done for when I get the 4K HDR TV back in to play.

I'll reopen a thread when ready.