HDMI stops boot (matrix)

• I've been using LE for some time, had no problems with Leia and a RC of Matrix. But have just updated to 9.95.1 matrix and have a boot problem.

If i boot with a computer monitor, no problem. But if i boot with an oldish Philips TV, the boot hangs at the version message.

Its the same RPI4 and TV that worked with Leia and Matrix RC, so something has changed in the HDMI driver...

I've searched for similar but found nothing except some vague posts about changing settings in config.

Any ideas?

I'll try to extract a log, but have temporarily forgotten how to do that ;)

• Ive tried HDMI safe and EDID disabled, still does not work.

log files show HDMI errors, but i dont know what they mean.02_System.log

kodi.log too big to post, here the section with errors:

2021-04-07 23:09:35.880 T:967 INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "sysdefault" for playback

2021-04-07 23:09:35.881 T:967 INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "sysdefault:CARD=vc4hdmi0" for playback

2021-04-07 23:09:35.882 T:967 INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi0,DEV=0" for playback

2021-04-07 23:09:35.883 T:967 INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "sysdefault:CARD=vc4hdmi1" for playback

2021-04-07 23:09:35.883 T:967 INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=vc4hdmi1,DEV=0" for playback

2021-04-07 23:09:35.938 T:967 INFO <general>: CAESinkALSA - No playback configurations available for device "surround21:CARD=Essential,DEV=0"

2021-04-07 23:09:35.943 T:967 WARNING <general>: Pulseaudio module module-allow-passthrough not loaded - opening PT devices might fail

• Official Post

You need to activate one of the default settings in the RPi's config.txt file.

Code
    # uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
  • My config does not have that to uncomment.

But adding it still does not fix it....

Actually, looking at the config.txt documentation, hdmi_safe should do that anyway.

quote>
    hdmi_safe

Setting hdmi_safe to 1 will lead to "safe mode" settings being used to try to boot with maximum HDMI compatibility. This is the same as setting the following parameters:

Code
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
    config_hdmi_b^^st=4
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=4
    disable_overscan=0
    overscan_left=24
    overscan_right=24
    overscan_top=24
    overscan_bottom=24
  • Please test with the latest nightly build from here: Index of /

Also note that the hdmi options in config.txt won't have any effect in LE 10 - you now have to use drm.edid_firmware and video kernel command line options like on x86 and all other linux systems if you need to work around video issues.

so long,

Hias

• Please test with the latest nightly build from here: Index of /

Also note that the hdmi options in config.txt won't have any effect in LE 10 - you now have to use drm.edid_firmware and video kernel command line options like on x86 and all other linux systems if you need to work around video issues.

so long,

Hias

nightly build from today did not fix it.

Could you point me in the direction of how to use - rm.edid_firmware and video kernel command line options please? i'm not a linux guru ;)

• I'd recommend testing with video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080M@60D added to the end of /flash/cmdline.txt first. See eg here RE: getting log files

If your monitor doesn't support full HD then use eg 1280x720M@60D.

Also drop all the hdmi options you added in config.txt.

If you get a picture then ssh in and run "vcdbg log msg" and post the output you got.

so long,

Hias

• Yes i tried the addition to cmdline.txt (i found your post in the other thread), it did not help, in fact it broke displaying on the PC monitor as it didnt support that mode.

And i've just tried the EDID extract from your post in the thread Mario quoted, that didnt help either.

I think i might just try my newer LG TV, if that fixes it then i'll just use LE on that TV. I just have to get it back from the gf's place. She will not be happy ;)

• On raspi4 i tried le 10,10.0.1, 10.0.2, nightly 11

All the same. Rainbow coloured picture Shows up, then Black screen. TV is a samsung uhd from 2019. Tried different cables. Tried an older TV. Wont work. Tried safemode and hotplug.

If I put my SD card in with raspOS on it everything is fine.

Don't know what to do.

Edited once, last by Miezmauz (July 14, 2022 at 6:12 AM).

• Are you using a case, eg Argon One, or some other one which contains a HDMI adapter board? If yes, try without the case - those cases and bad HDMI cables are the most common issues for "no signal"

If this doesn't work add "drm.debug=0x04 ssh" to the end of cmdline.txt (immediately after "quiet", on the same line), boot the RPi, ssh in and run "pastekodi" and post the URL you got.

so long,

Hias