HDMI 0 4kp60 - HDMI 1 Sound

• Hi!

So I'm very new to this forum, because i tried to get my new Pi 4b running as a Mediacenter, as I moved and have some Movies on my external harddrive.

First things first, i do have a TV from Samsung, wich is able to do 4kp60 (it took me forever to get that running).

Problem now is, when my HDMI goes into the TV and an Optical to my 5.1 receiver, it gets blocked (I think it's called HDCP from what I've read). Meaning my surround left and right get no sound even though, if it's directly from my TV it works.

My question is, if it's possible to have, as the title says, 4kp60 on HDMI 0 and sound on HDMI 1?

I've read something online that if both HDMI's are connected, 4kp60 will be disabled. Any comments on that?

I've also tried another solution, which is going through my receiver to the TV, as it has passthrough. Problem here is that my receiver doesn't support 4kp60 (only 1080p60).

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

• I go optical from TV to AVR, and never had problems with HDCP. Maybe you have to setup your TV for this.

Audio over HDMI-1 is possible in theory, but a pretty new feature on LE. Better wait a couple of days until LE 10 arrives, then try again.

• I go optical from TV to AVR, and never had problems with HDCP. Maybe you have to setup your TV for this.

Audio over HDMI-1 is possible in theory, but a pretty new feature on LE. Better wait a couple of days until LE 10 arrives, then try again.

If you dont have a TV without eARC you cant passthrough DTS HD, Atmos etc.

Thats the reason why i sont use this ;)

So you say there should be a Setting? I will take a look. Thanks!

• If you dont have a TV without eARC you cant passthrough DTS HD, Atmos etc.

Thats the reason why i sont use this ;)

Sorry for the late response, but it seems i have to wait 2000+ seconds to write another message...

Are you saying that if my TV has eARC (which it does) it doesn't work, or well doesn't send the signal?

• So you say there should be a Setting? I will take a look. Thanks!

I don't know. On my TV there is no setting for this. I get optical audio from TV AND RPi.

- don't use RPi HDMI-1 at the moment, because there is a chance that it's not supported yet

- go RPi (HDMI-0) -- HDMI cable --> TV -- optical cable --> AVR

- check your HDMI cable, it has to be HDMI 2.0 or 2.1 standard, because you are using a 4K TV

If you use a cable lower than HDMI 2.0, chances are that you lose data (audio data).

My theory is that audio isn't blocked, it just doesn't arrives on your TV due to a bad HDMI cable.

• Sorry for the late response, but it seems i have to wait 2000+ seconds to write another message...

Are you saying that if my TV has eARC (which it does) it doesn't work, or well doesn't send the signal?

With eARC you have DTS-HD or TrueHD.

In my case my TV doesnt have eARC (only ARC) and its no opinion for me.

• Hi!

So I'm very new to this forum, because i tried to get my new Pi 4b running as a Mediacenter, as I moved and have some Movies on my external harddrive.

First things first, i do have a TV from Samsung, wich is able to do 4kp60 (it took me forever to get that running).

For me it's a surprise, I thought RPI 4b cant handle 4K contents yet ? So you're able to play 4K@60, eventually with HDR without problems ?

• How can i check if the cable is 2.0 or 2.1?

I checked my amazon order, sadly it doesn't say what HDMI it is, but it says it can do 4k @ 60.

• With eARC you have DTS-HD or TrueHD.

In my case my TV doesnt have eARC (only ARC) and its no opinion for me.

My TV actually has eARC, but after checking online it seems that my VCR doesn't. Does it need to have eARC?

For me it's a surprise, I thought RPI 4b cant handle 4K contents yet ? So you're able to play 4K@60, eventually with HDR without problems ?

Yeah, after some fidgeting i eventually was able to select 4kp60 in Kodi. As far as i can tell there is no problem, yet I don't know if HDR. How could i check?

• Before you buy the extractor, you could test that setup with a reduced (non-4K) resolution.

We still don't know the cause of the issue, so it could be too early to buy an extractor.

Well, I've tried it out. It works like a charm, but only in 1080p sadly. Any other idea?

• Well, I've tried it out. It works like a charm, but only in 1080p sadly. Any other idea?

Thanks for testing! Now we know that TV and AVR can both deal with the RPi audio.

Because I'm using the setup, described in post #7, I don't think it's an HDCP blocking issue. Go into LE's audio setup and test with and without audio pass-through enabled. Maybe the TV can't pass-through some audio codecs, coming from the RPi.

Another idea is to add hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 to config.txt. This guarantees that all audio codecs will be sent to the TV, no matter whether it's playable by the TV or not.

• Thanks for testing! Now we know that TV and AVR can both deal with the RPi audio.

Because I'm using the setup, described in post #7, I don't think it's an HDCP blocking issue. Go into LE's audio setup and test with and without audio pass-through enabled. Maybe the TV can't pass-through some audio codecs, coming from the RPi.

Another idea is to add hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 to config.txt. This guarantees that all audio codecs will be sent to the TV, no matter whether it's playable by the TV or not.

Will try that out today. I even remember that i was able to select different settings in the sound option, will send an update, when I'm back home.

I think i already have this setting, will check too.

I just helped another user, who switched from 2.0 channels to 5.1 channels at the LE audio settings.

The result was no audio at the soundbar.

-> Keep it at 2.0 channels.

Wouldn't that make my surround useless?