[Pi 4] Lots of frame drops when playing high bitrate VC-1

• Sounds like syncing refresh rate to display could help. Search for such an option at Settings -> System -> Video (expert mode), or at the playback menu (press OK while playing something, and select the gear wheel). I'm using a different RPi / LE version, so I just guess the location.

thanx for this tip, this solve my dropouts on my raspi :)

• What's the current state on this?

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 with LE11 beta 2 installed and VC-1 content still gives me a lot of troubles, playing those video files smoothly is just impossible right now.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Ok, overclocking as described on the following link solved my issues with VC-1 @1080p so far. Nevermind.

taxexile
    January 9, 2020 at 6:24 PM

EDIT 2:

Just for completion, I just added the following content to /flash/config.txt file:

Code
    hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
    arm_freq=1800
    gpu_freq=500
    core_freq=600
    core_freq_min=500
    force_turbo=1

EDIT 3:

I made some CPU temperaure tests additionally which I wanted to share here.

With the overclocking setup mentioned above, when playing VC-1@1080p content, the Raspberry Pi 4 its CPU temperature does never rise above 50°C with a FLIRC Aluminium case.

• I tested a 64-bit build of LibreELEC and it does improve VC-1 playback.

Hopefully LibreELEC (Orion) 12 will be 64-bit by default.

LibreELEC 64-bit sounds pretty cool indeed, but in the meantime VC-1 playback has improved in my LibreELEC 11.0.1 fresh installation. It's not perfect yet, not smooth enough. But thank you developers for that improvement.

Previously I tried the overclock option with LE 11.0.0 installed over LE 10.0.4, but no big deal. I still got dropped frames.