Updating from Kodi 17.3 to 18 on a Nexbox a95x

• Hi

Haven't posted here for a few years - this shows just how reliable and stable my copy of LIBREELEC has been all this time!

I am on Kodi 17.3 so I am thinking of upgrading to 18. I also hear that 18.9 is the newest most reliable version. I have a Nexbox A95x B7N.

Is there an easy way to upgrade while in Libreelec (I have version 8.0.2a) / Kodi or do I have to do the thing where I am saving a new version of Libreelec onto the mini SD card and basically reinstalling the software again?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks! :)

• I believe the upgrade from LE 8.0.2a should work to LE 9.2.6 stable but test at your own risk. ;)

Don't forget to make a backup of your current installation first.

Then read here: Updating - LibreELEC.wiki

Use the proper file path to upgrade (file which is appropriate for your device).

Edit: OK, sorry for misleading, see the post of chewitt below... ;-/

Edited once, last by ghtester (January 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM).

• I am on Kodi 17.3 so I am thinking of upgrading to 18. I also hear that 18.9 is the newest most reliable version. I have a Nexbox A95x B7N.

At the moment, Amlogic S905 hardware is best served with the newest CoreELEC builds if you want the latest stable version of Kodi.

• I believe the upgrade from LE 8.0.2a should work to LE 9.2.6 stable but test at your own risk. ;)

Don't forget to make a backup of your current installation first.

Then read here: Updating - LibreELEC.wiki

Use the proper file path to upgrade (file which is appropriate for your device).

^ There is no LE 9.2.6 update for Amlogic hardware, we abandoned the Amlogic BSP kernel at LE 9.0 and shifted focus to mainline kernel support. CE have images equivalent-ish to LE 9.2.6 but I believe they have announced their next release will no longer support S905 (GXBB) since the new vendor kernel they are bumping to no longer excludes it. A95X has an upstream device-tree, so you can/should be able to use the AMLGX test images here: Index of / as well. Support is a little rough around the edges, but slowly improving.

• At the moment, Amlogic S905 hardware is best served with the newest CoreELEC builds if you want the latest stable version of Kodi.

Thanks.

I run Libreelec off a small SD card that sits in the Android Box. Would it be possible to use another SD card with Coreelec installed on it and be able to switch between the 2 if I wanted to?

I am just scared of attempting the upgrade and it not working, losing everything I have now and not being able to go back to it.

• In theory once the box has been forced into Android "update" mode it will keep booting from LE or CE on SD card until you either update Android or boot back into Android again. You should be able to swap cards fine.

thanks - I'll give that a try then.

• ^ There is no LE 9.2.6 update for Amlogic hardware, we abandoned the Amlogic BSP kernel at LE 9.0 and shifted focus to mainline kernel support. CE have images equivalent-ish to LE 9.2.6 but I believe they have announced their next release will no longer support S905 (GXBB) since the new vendor kernel they are bumping to no longer excludes it. A95X has an upstream device-tree, so you can/should be able to use the AMLGX test images here: Index of / as well. Support is a little rough around the edges, but slowly improving.

Hello Friend, OK I have a Genereic S905 1gb/8gb, By the name MXS Plus, its identical to Mxq Pro, at present i am running Librelec 8.0.2 which has Kodi 17.3, On EMMC, The libreelec 8.0.2 has been Given to me by the supplier in .Img file as well as in Update.rar format (LibreELEC-Amlogic.aarch64-MXSPlus-8.0.3-update), Since its outdated, can you please guide me how do i migrate from LE-CE 9.0.1,. Thanks

• Hello Friend, OK I have a Genereic S905 1gb/8gb, By the name MXS Plus, its identical to Mxq Pro, at present i am running Librelec 8.0.2 which has Kodi 17.3, On EMMC, The libreelec 8.0.2 has been Given to me by the supplier in .Img file as well as in Update.rar format (LibreELEC-Amlogic.aarch64-MXSPlus-8.0.3-update), Since its outdated, can you please guide me how do i migrate from LE-CE 9.0.1,. Thanks

Have a look at the images created by dtech in these forums.