Nightly builds Rpi4 Audio passthrough TrueHD/Master HD not working (huge stutter) anymore

• I'm also still interested in a pastekodi log of a dropout with plain nightly build, wiithout any of the above mentioned changes.

so long,

Hias

Here is a log with plain nightly, no changes
    LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-9.80-nightly-20210226-e12ff43.img
    I've had some interruptions with a Dolby True HD movie
    http://ix.io/2R38

Edited once, last by spooker (February 27, 2021 at 3:30 PM).

• chook55 can you dump your edid and post/attach it? (you may need to ZIP the file so the forum software allows attaching)

Code
    cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid > edid.bin

Also please post a link to a "pastekodi" debug log.

so long,

Hias

• A1RFORCE1 your first log showed you were playing a vc1 file

Code
    2021-02-26 21:24:09.442 T:1108     INFO <general>: ffmpeg[0x319f440X]:     Stream #0:0[0x1011]: Video: vc1 (Advanced) (VC-1 / 0x312D4356), yuv420p(bt709, progressive), 1920x1080 [SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 90k tbn, 47.95 tbc

that has to be software decoded and vc1 SW decode performance sucks - not much we can do about that.

Not sure what's going on with your "Deep.impact.mkv" - you didn't post a "pastekodi" log so we are missing important information.... Just type "pastekodi" in ssh/putty and post the URL - as I mentioned several times snippets and just kodi logs are rather useless...

so long,

Hias

• chook55 thanks a lot for the info!

As suspected the 5.1ch AVR is preventing truehd/atmos and DTS HD passthrough from working. That's a known bug in the linux kernel drivers, I'm still thinking about how to best solve or workaround that. A fix will follow, just can't tell when :)

so long,

Hias

• chook55 on a second glance I noticed that your AVR doesn't support truehd/dts-hd, only AC3 and DTS - so keep the HD passtrhough options disabled, only enable AC3 and DTS

so long,

Hias

• chook55 on a second glance I noticed that your AVR doesn't support truehd/dts-hd, only AC3 and DTS - so keep the HD passtrhough options disabled, only enable AC3 and DTS

so long,

Hias

Thanks, all playing as it should. Both TV and AMP are playing properly.

• chook55 thanks a lot for the info!

As suspected the 5.1ch AVR is preventing truehd/atmos and DTS HD passthrough from working. That's a known bug in the linux kernel drivers, I'm still thinking about how to best solve or workaround that. A fix will follow, just can't tell when :)

so long,

Hias

The linux kernel seems to handle 8 to 6 channel reduction OK. Maybe an option for message flags popping up saying "AV device not HD capable" etc or "Optimise audio setting?" via prompt..

• HiassofT you've asked for a lot of testing. I'll try to do my best to answer your questions.

For now the test build you gave link to works good.

File on USB 3.0 SSD,

FHD with Atmos - no problems video and audio

4k HDR with Atmos - video gets hickups from time to time a small ones like a frame or two is missing. Still clouds problems looks like layers. Sound is great, no hickups, no problems.

I'm attaching the shot of the clouds issue not sure however if this problem should be mentioned in this thread however. The colors are of course invalid, but I had to play with it a bit so the problem would be easily visible.

• lolek thanks, mainly keep an eye on the audio hickups and "broken pipe" log messages you initially reported - I think current nightly builds should be fine now though.

There seem to be occasional audio glitches with HD audio passthrough (which won't show up in logs), we are looking into it but so far I could not reproduce those here.

HDR output issues, like banding in the clouds, are also known - fixing those will take a while, kodi and video driver are currently missing several important bits and pieces.

Occasionally dropped or duplicates video frames is a different issue. We are aware of it, see also RPi 4B - Periodic repeated frames, CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust in log · Issue #19263 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

so long,

Hias

• thanks, mainly keep an eye on the audio hickups and "broken pipe" log messages you initially reported - I think current nightly builds should be fine now though.

Tbh didn't check logs for this but usually when there was a sound problem I could hear it right away. I'll try to check the log next time.

There seem to be occasional audio glitches with HD audio passthrough (which won't show up in logs), we are looking into it but so far I could not reproduce those here.

with the build you gave I could not hear any issues, sound was perfect all the time.

HDR output issues, like banding in the clouds, are also known - fixing those will take a while, kodi and video driver are currently missing several important bits and pieces.

understandable. Tbh it's much less annoying that sound going away in battle scene :D

• Tbh didn't check logs for this but usually when there was a sound problem I could hear it right away. I'll try to check the log next time.

That's what I meant - I should better have written "keep an ear on the hickups" :) If sound is fine there's no need to look into logs.

so long,

Hias

• Occasionally dropped or duplicates video frames is a different issue. We are aware of it, see also RPi 4B - Periodic repeated frames, CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust in log · Issue #19263 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

so long,

Hias

Are these related to the rare audio interruptions (not the broken pipe) ? I believe that at least some of the
    CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust - CVideoPlayerAudio::OutputPacket
    in my previously attached log
    matched some audio interruptions.
    I was monitoring the log while this was happening and although this might be a coincidence I have a feeling that they are related.

• spooker most likely these log lines are unrelated to your audio issues. I spotted them, too, and was discussing that with popcornmix - our understanding is that the ErrorAdjust should lead to dropped or duplicated video frames - not audio issues - as reported here: RPi 4B - Periodic repeated frames, CDVDClock::ErrorAdjust in log · Issue #19263 · xbmc/xbmc · GitHub

I suspect you are running into the hardware fifo under/overrun issues that I've not been able to reproduce locally yet. Having a sample video or some other method to reliably reproduce the issue would help a lot.

so long,

Hias

• Noted.

cheers

Chook

Update: I found a problem in my rig. There is a small power jack and cable that powers the Targus USB Hub. It could be that this was not firmly in the socket and could be losing power intermittently. Its not a tight fit so now I've secured it with a rubber band. The only device in the hub is the 3.5" HDD. Ill check tomorrow to see if this indeed was the problem. How annoying.

Info: I just tested LibreElec nightly 20210224 at 4k 30Hz and blanking occurred while viewing a 4K video (same one). Its not occuring at Full HD resolution. So It was not the power to the hub that was causing the issue. I'll reconfigure and do testing next opportunity.

I just received my 2.0b rated HDMI cable. I replaced the 1.4 rated HDMI cable and did a 10 minute test at 4k 30Hz on 720P HEVC and a 4K H264 video known to produce problems. After 10m viewing on each I witness ZERO screen blanks. So for AU$25 the problem is solved. I didn't need to remove the 4K rated HDMI / toslink splitter so I'm pleased.

Best regards

chook

• Hi,

I just tested the 9.95.1 Kodi 10 beta with 2 contents :

1 UHD h265 Dolby True HD 7.1 audio

1 UHD h265 DTS True HD Master

It works perfectly !

You have done a great job, thanks to all developpers and contributors ! ;)