Manuel update from Openlec failed

• Hi there

Thank you for reading my post.

I've been trying to update my Kodi (i'm on Krypton 17.3 right now) to the Leia version.

It seems i cannot to this by putting a .rar in my update folder of my media center like i used to do it...

Then i discovered OpenELEC was dead, and that i should now update my system to LibreELEC.

So i tried to update it with the "LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2.6.img.gz" file (the one the website suggets for a AMD / Intel / NVidia machine). It didn't work, but i read there might be a problem between OpenELEC and img.gz file, so i tried with a "LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2.6.tar" file. This time i got a message "missing Kernel or system".

After reading other posts, it seems the file is not the correct one ?

It is not a matter of size anyway, i have nothing else on that little box than its system.

I'm currently on OPELELEC 8.0.4 (Kernel : Linux 4.9.30).

Thanks for all your help :)

• I'm currently on OPELELEC 8.0.4 (Kernel : Linux 4.9.30).

You cannot update OpenELEC with LibreELEC, as the size of the system partition in LibreELEC needs to be larger than in OpenELEC. The system files have simply grown over time.

The simplest and best solution is to freshly install LibreELEC 9.2.6 onto whatever media device you have.

Also install any skins or add-ons new, as most will likely be unable to upgrade.

• Alright, a fresh install of LibreElec...

How do I do this please?

No. Installing LibreELEC on Generic (Intel/Nvidia/AMD) hardware is a two-step process.

First you need to download the image variant file (img.gz) and install it preferable on a USB stick.

Then you boot the USB stick, and run the installer which will install LibreELEC onto your HDD/SSD.

As you may already know, the installer will wipe EVERYTHING off the target drive, so make sure that you understand that.

• I was doing it when you wrote to me!

I checked online and found a way!

Thank you so much for your answers!

One thing though : I first downloaded the Linux x64 file (because my device is a Linux run stuff) and couldn't open it on my computer.

Then I tried with the x32, with the same result.

I had to use the windows one to be able to get something out of it.

But now that I'm thinking, maybe this is fair that my computer cannot open this Linux thing...

Anyway I have LibreElec on my device now 😁

À very good day to you Klojum