Dolby Digital on Libre Elec for Raspberry Pi and other beginner's questions

• Hello,

Just installed Libre Elec on a raspberry pi 4 and i'm quite happy with it. But I have a question concerning the sound:

I connected the raspberry to an A/V - Receiver to have dolby digital. But when I play a movie or a TV-station in Libre Elec which have Dolby Digital, the A/V - Receiver doesn't show "Dolby Digital" on its display but only "surround". What can be the reason for this and how could I fix this to get Dolby Digital?

Another question: How can I add a network source manually? Libre Elec doesn't find my NAS storage (don't know why)...

Third and last question: How can I add pictures and information to the movie section. In Music, Libre Elec has found CD-Covers, Song Information etc... but in movie nothing. It just says that the library is empty and I can only watch movies by clicking on the files.

Would be happy to get some help of experienced users. Thank you very much in advance,

Third and last question: How can I add pictures and information to the movie section

Adding video sources - Official Kodi Wiki

I connected the raspberry to an A/V - Receiver to have dolby digital

Settings>System>Audio

Audio Output (hdmi connected to your reciever)

Number of Channels (Your speaker config eg. 5.1)

Allow Pasthrough       Enabled

Select the audio formats that your receiver supports

Settings>Player

Sync playback to display Disabled

You may also need LE 10

Edited once, last by LongMan: Merged a post created by LongMan into this post. (December 12, 2020 at 2:37 AM).

• Thank you for your input. I did what you said and the movies which support Dolby Digital are played in Dolby Digital 5.1 now.

But when it comes to the TV section (my Set-top-Box is connected to Kodi via the Enigma2-Frontend) Channels and programms which contain Dolby Digital make the display of my A/V-Receiver show "Multi-In". Is this the same as Dolby Digital? I tried to compare and it seems that "Mulri In" is a bit louder than "Dolby Digital" - so maybe "Multi In" is more like Dolby Surround - but I'm not sure about it...

Do you know what "Multi-In" is and how I can use Dolby Digital for the TV section, too if "Multi-in" isn't Dolby Digital?

Thanks again for your help so far and I would be glad to get more input.

• I am not familiar with the enigma systems. However, multi in usually means that the audio signal is been decoded on the box and the discrete channels are sent to the AV Receiver. You are getting the discrete channels but you lose any specialized processing that your receiver does on Dolby Digital bitstream. Some people say there is no difference, others say there is. Believe your ears.

I just checked mine and noticed the same thing. I use TV Headend. It could be the way PVR livestreams are handled. I am not sure. However, PVR Recordings pass the Dolby Digital bitstream, so all is not lost. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in. I only really watch news on live tv. For movies and shows I watched recorded or ripped, so it has not been a problem for me.

Sorry, but I cannot help some more.

Cheers,

LongMan

Edited once, last by LongMan (December 12, 2020 at 4:29 PM).

• First: You've been mixed different topics into one thread. We don't like that one-thread-fits-all thing. One question - one thread.

...make the display of my A/V-Receiver show "Multi-In". Is this the same as Dolby Digital?

In the good old days of the internet, the answer would be: RTFM (read the fuc*ing manual).