RPi 4 - Video playback stops and starts (freezes) randomly

• I'm trying SO hard to read previous posts and the wiki to avoid starting a new thread, but I'm stuck, so here goes:

My video playback occasionally freezes up. The image stays frozen for roughly 15 seconds, then starts again. It skips over some of the content, so I have to jump back a few seconds to see what I missed.

I have debug logging enabled, and I can see that my CPU usage is quite low. I really want to give you my log file, but the wiki is failing me. I'm in the system over SSH, but can't find the right command. I tried "pastekodi", but that did nothing.

Little help?

Thanks! Luv ya! :*

• Ok, there's a default SMB username/password, but is there a default Share name? Can't find any info on that. Trying to map the drive using Windows - "\\[Pi4 ip address]\[Share name]"

Edit: Ah, found it under System. It should be "LibreELEC". Although Windows still doesn't seem to want to work with it.

Edited once, last by Barble Bapkins (November 13, 2020 at 10:57 PM).

• I'm sorry I'm stuck on the logs, but I really need some help if possible. This video playback problem is a deal-breaker for my new toy. I got a NESPi case for it and everything! I digress...

Is there a way to copy the logs directly to a USB stick or something?

• I had this same type of problem. My only video source is a cheap 120 GB SDD, which now is connected to the RPi 4 through a USB-SATA cable that supports UAS. Before I tried two or three cables and enclosures which didn't support UAS, I applied the quirks to them, and they worked OK but I got the same symptoms that you describe.

Look here to find USB SATA to USB adapters that support UAS: Raspberry Pi 4 USB Boot Config Guide for SSD / Flash Drives . Since I changed my adapter a few weeks ago I experienced no more video freezes. Your freezes could of course be related to something entirely different... Just my 2 cents...

• Is this forum still alive?

If you are expecting a 24/7 help desk, then you are perhaps expecting the wrong service. LibreELEC and its forum are run by a small number of volunteers, who offer their free time whenever THEY think it is appropriate and possible.

If you can access the RPi4 via SSH, then perhaps you can temporarily reset Kodi into a clean setup and go from there.

Code
    mv ~/.kodi  ~/.kodi-bkp
    reboot

Don't install everything like before, just install whatever is necessary for your choppy video playback, and then provide a new log file.