Using aptx codec for bluetooth

• Hi,

I've seen a thread of a few years old here talking about using the apt-x codec for bluetooth headphone connection but there wasn't any continued follow up.

So my question, does anyone have any idea how I can get bluetooth to use apt-x with my headphone?

Cheers,

Luc

• You would need a Bluetooth transmitter that also supports apt-x. Very few integrated BT transmitters will include this, since it is extra cost for the manufacturer (software license) and also forces them to use silicon made by the company that license apt-x (Qualcomm CSR). Some of the Bluetooth transmitters that can be bought for sending audio from any device to suitable head[phones do include apt-x - you just need to look at the specs when buying (there are a few on Amazon for example). Note that for any media players that include Bluetooth transmit capability, the selection of the audio codec used is not normally down to the software in the sending device - it simply negotiates with the receiver and they choose the best system that they both understand.

• I don't use the RPI 3B+ integrated Bluetooth but an usb dongle with a csr8510 a10 chip who is apt-x compatible.

When I connect my bluetooth headphones I see (with hcidump avdtp) that both atp-x and a2dp-sbc as capable codec but chooses the sbc.

So how can I force Kodi to use atp-x instead of sbc? (while outputting sound to my headphones using pulseaudio)

• OK - I understand now. It was not clear from your earlier message that you had much knowledge on the Bluetooth side - also, you did not even mention any of your hardware - hence my rather generic answer. To be honest, I have no knowledge on my side about how Kodi or LE talks to Bluetooth dongles. I would expect there is a way to make it work as you would like it to, but that's outside my own expertise. You clearly already know more about it than I do. Sorry I can't help.

• I hoped I would have gotten some more response on this subject. Today a lot of Bluetooth headphones can handle apt-x(HD) or aac.

Also there's a pulseaudio-module-bt available with all these codecs included ( GitHub - EHfive/pulseaudio-modules-bt: [Maintenance only] Adds Sony LDAC, aptX, aptX HD, AAC codecs (A2DP Audio) support to PulseAudio on Linux)

but Libreelec seems to be a "closed" OS, so impossible for me to add that to my RPI3+ Libreelec.

Maybe some developer could shed some light on this? Maybe leave a "backdoor" so we can add this ourselves?

Cheers,

Luc