Safely remove drives

• Hello all

In my intel/nvidia based LibreElec system I have 6 hard disks, when I am watching content from particular drive, I remove other drives by context menu safely remove drives.

my question is if I remove them by above method, is the power and data cut of to the particular hard disk and how do I mount them back without reboot.

Tx

• Removing drives without doing it 'safely' is basically okay for your media drives, because no data is written to them.

Only when you write stuff to the drives (in case of a library export, or subtitles) you'll need to be more careful.

• Removing drives without doing it 'safely' is basically okay for your media drives, because no data is written to them.

Only when you write stuff to the drives (in case of a library export, or subtitles) you'll need to be more careful.

Klojum, what I would like to know is, when safely removed, is the sata power cut off to that particular hard drive ? how to re-mount without reboot

Tx

• is the sata power cut off to that particular hard drive ?

I wouldn't know. I can see that some of my external USB boxes are powered down, but others other not. I guess it depends on the compatibility of external USB connection. The disks application in Ubuntu has an option to fully shutdown a drive, but right now I'm guessing that drives in LibreELEC are only unmounted and not powered down. A power led on the external drive should tell you that.

• Oh... So your PC is also your NAS ?

You could try fiddling with 'hdparm' in LibreELEC's startup file,

Klojum My pc is just for LibreElec box, with 6 sata hard drives. when I am using any one particular drive, I would like to power-off the remaining 5 hard drives. all my six drives have audio and video content. the LibreElec boots from a M2 nvme disk. the box is always on 24X7 just a weekly shutdown during night.

• openbaffle Probably not a good idea without a very good reason (like security). Switching hdd power on and off is by far what most stress imposes to the electronics and mechanics.

If your hdds are rarely used then you could also take a look at hdd-idle available in the system-tools add-on.

• Switching hdd power on and off is by far what most stress imposes to the electronics and mechanics.

If your hdds are rarely used then you could also take a look at hdd-idle available in the system-tools add-on.

librero there is no frequent switch on or off of hdd's, when I want to use a particular drive, I want to switch it on before the boot of Le.

I will also take a look at hdd-idle

Tx