continuity counter errors on 2 different TV cards.

• Hello,

hope that I find help here.

I have 2 HTPCs both with Libreelec 9.2.3, one of which has a Digital Devices card

on the other a Hauppauge Win Quad.

My type of reception is DVB-C.

My problem is very, very many and recurring continuity counter errors in Tvheadend. These also mess up my recordings.

I noticed it in ARD HD on the frequency 266MHz.

It seems to me that the errors have something to do with EPG. Actually still exists

VPS (Video Programming System)? .

Why?

Tv program:...................................... Continuity counter error

16:30 Weltspiegel

...............................................................16:55 Fehler

17:00 Tagesschau

................................................................17:08 Fehler

17:10 Leichtathletik

Continuity counter errors appear promptly even after the EPG search.

Since I was looking for a mistake, I have a television technician (Fernsehtechniker)

where the can measured. He says everything is ok.

since it all made me mad I:

EVERYTHING switched off that is electricity or could interfere.

Since I first "suspected" my refrigerator or freezer.

Modem, switch, radio clock, landline telephone, refrigerator and freezer, TV and soundbar, thermometer / hygrometer and mobile phone, so really everything that has electricity or radio.

Errors still came

I didn't ask neighbors about radio or their phone usage during the time of the error, there are too many around me (apartment building).

I have also tried signal amplifiers,new antenna cable , dampers, sheath current filters and ferrite cores and a socket strip with surge protection and mains filter (Brennenstuhl).

Reception values are similar to the current temperatures. SNR 40 dB signal quality - 33dBm

p.s the bugs were there even before the heat wave.

I have already tried Libreelec 8.0.2 with Kodi 17, as well as Ubuntu 20.04 and Kodi 18

I was so desperate ... Livetv went to all but continuity counter error‘s everywhere.

I have also deactivated e.g. DVB drivers for DigitalDevices because the cards are supported by the kernel.

What can you turn off in Tvh / Kodi that only LiveTv and EPG recordings are possible.

No timshift, streaming or similar as simple as possible, only the most necessary to use.

Somewhere a cache, increase memory...?

I'm looking forward to your answers, especially from CvH ... (formerly Kodinerds) THE expert in DVB matters.

p.s. i wrote in German and translated it with Google Translate.

Danke

• Hello I already read your Posting at Kodinerds If you are Sandra. ;)

1. Have you tried TVH 4.2?

The stabile Version Instead of 4.3.

2. Are there also running Other Services within Libreelec or is TVH the Only one?

Maybe another Service Takes all the CPU time or your recording HD ist bussy.

3. Do Not use EPG running state or vps both can lead to Errors.

4. Are you using Pass through for your recordings and save a Transport Stream or are you using Something else as recording Profile?

5. Do the Tuner cards have connectors for external power? If so, did you connect them?

6. Do you Only have troubles with ARD HD?

Regards

Nicolas

• Yes with the nerds, I'm Sandra.

To your questions:

1. I am running TVH version 4.2.8-36 ~ LibreELEC Tvh-addon v9.2.0.122 (HTSPv27)

2. I don't quite understand ??

in the Addons service I only activated PVR Recording & Power Manager and Tvheadend Server 4.2.

For add-ons-program-add-ons, I activated System Tools so that I put my Usb3 hard drive to sleep.

For Addons-Pvr-Clients , I activated Tvheadend HTSP Client in version 4.4.21.1.

And with Addons- VideoAddons: Netzkino, Tele5 Mediathek and Youtube activated.

3. if that: configuration → recording → digital video recorder profile is not activated for me.

where do you turn off VPS?

4. My admission profile is: Matroska (mkv).

5. I think the digital devices have a connection that Hauppauge doesn't have. Actually, both are supplied via PCI-e.

The PC with the Digital Devices Tv card is an ASRock J5005-ITX with 8GB Ram, the performance should be more than sufficient

An older 2.5 inch hard disk is connected via an Inateck usb3 adapter for the recordings, which goes into retirement after 10 minutes with HD idle.

6. I'll say - YES - I already had some recordings, but there was always a recording from ARD HD. Probably passed the error on system-wide.

Yesterday I changed:

Configuration → Channel / EPG → EPG grabber modules: all deactivated

Configuration → Channel / EPG → EPG grabber → EPG scan timeout in seconds (30-7200) set to 30.

Changed today:

Configuration → Channel / EPG → EPG grabber → save EPG periodically on hard disk (hours) set from 1 to 0.

Today the SNR was 40.8 and the signal strength at -19.5?

maybe I should buy an even better antenna cable 135 dB 4 or 5 times shielded, mine is only 115dB, 3 times shielded.

maybe then the disturbances go away too

I put a few photos and the debug from Tvh.

notice the errors v. 10:28 ,14:28 and 15:28 time

tvh debug:

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

• 2. Tvheadend is a Service (Server) running in the Background.

If you have Other Services running and If they Take the entire CPU Power to a certain time or they Block the Hard Drive with high load you can have Errors because there is No throuput or CPU time left for tvheadend.

3. You can Set the EPG running state and vps at the recording Profile.

4. I would try to record as Transport Stream (.TS) Just for Testing. Btw I never used Something else for recordings.

"notice the errors v. 10:28 ,14:28 and 15:28 time"

Maybe a Service Starts at those Times.

Regards

Nicolas

• Hello,

I only installed the bare essentials .... I could do without the video add-ons.

I just want to watch and record TV like a receiver (video recorder).

I only installed Libreelec, then Tvheadend, the HTSP client, the powermanager for recordings and 3 video addons?

does Mkv not handle HD recordings? I've been recording with it for a few years, is very easy to cut with MKVToolNix.

Are there terminal commands (e.g. top, ps, systemctl) to find out which services are installed on me or are currently running and are causing a load?

don't know my way around.

regards

• did you tried to activate the Digital Device drivers at LE ? they are different to the ones you use at default, maybe this fixes something

- otherwise I would have a look at the cpu usage try htop while recording (should be less then 10%)

- remove one card and try again, if this still appears or not appears try the other card, if both cards work in "single mode" it could be a different problem

- try to record in plain ts files, maybe you messed up your recording profile (screenshots welcome :) )

• Hello ,

Since Flex - will publish the complete logs when the opportunity arises, the error can also be found in my interest.:idea:

thank you

.... at last I was hoping for you CvH :) the whole time.:thumbup:

I first activated (installed) the drivers, then I realized that it works without them, they are already in the kernel.

I already tried top and htop today,

the CPU had 50-60% and TVH 13%, however, on the PC N3150 with Hauppauge TV card.

There are two different PCs, each with its own TV card.!

N3150 with Hauppauge Tv card and the other with ASRock J5005-ITX and Digital Devices Tv card.

Since I no longer have an EPG on ARD HD in Kodi on one PC (probably totally screwed up, it's your own fault ...), I will do it all over again.

LibreELEC 9.2.4 came out anyway.

I still want to get rid of one thing, today I ran my TV and the ASRock J5005-ITX with Digital Devices TV card at the same time, what can I say, the TV also had 4 BER errors at the same time.

Something else is wrong with me, buy me another antenna cable, 5-way shielded, 135db,

put the one box back on again,

try to ask someone with another cable company whether I can test it for errors

and if possible let a technician from the cable company come again because my TV also has errors.

Or did the PC / TV card interfere with the TV ???:?:

until then, I'm still open to tips

p.s should I use the Libreelec Digital Devices drivers again when reinstalling? I had at the beginning because I noticed the mistakes.

Kind regards

HTOP:

top:

• You have Skip comercials (Werbung überspringen) checked...

Are you running comskip or Something that way?

If Not uncheck this Option.

Also I am unsure If mkvs can be tagged with metadata. I would also uncheck this Option for Testing.

Regards

Nicolas

• Your technician says, DVB-C signal is OK, and top says, kodi.bin process isn't at max. So my theory is that your DVB-C receiver gets a processing overload when dealing with EPG, which leads to continuity errors.

gabigabi wrote: "notice

e the errors v. 10:28 ,14:28 and 15:28 time"

I was thinking of a Service to start at those Times but it could be also comskip or epggrab....

Regards

Nicolas

• Hello everyone,

Well finally some information from you guys.:thumbup:

Didn't know that I activated comskip and tagged with metadata, I've never noticed that.

Is that perhaps standard settings, i.e. given by TVH?

Your technician says, DVB-C signal is OK, and top says, kodi.bin process isn't at max. So my theory is that your DVB-C receiver gets a processing overload when dealing with EPG, which leads to continuity errors.

yes ,I see it that way too, EPG (scanning) somehow causes trouble.

Nicolas I'm thinking of an EPG service, triggered at the same time:

Just for the sake of better understanding, I only connected the television with an antenna cable for the test and connected the PC with another antenna cable at the same time.

Both ran independently !! Everyone was special for themselves. Both had their own antenna sockets! (parallel operation).

Note google translator makes crap :dodgy:... but there is no other way, can't speak English very well.

sorry for any gibberish ...:)

no matter i will disable comskip and tagged with metadata.

nevertheless I will first have to reinstall LibreELEC, to screw up my installation so far.

Thanks if you still have ideas, just bring them on.

Tomorrow I will do another test and turn off all the power fuses (except for the PC of course !!) and see if something is disturbing the power supply, because I had never turned off the stove during my testing, and I only have the switch on the refrigerator pressed. never completely de-energized!

you are really great.:thumbup:

I'll get back to you after the tests and the changes to my Tvheadend.

regards

• Not sure whether you got my point.

First, I don't think your cables (or even the fridge ^^ ) are the problem. I know DVB-C cable problems, and they usually show up in missing or massively disturbed TV channels. That's not what you have.

My theory is that your DVB-C provider updates EPG data periodically, but (at least) your PC's DVB-C receiver is unable to process EPG data AND showing TV at the same time. Doing those two tasks at the same time probably needs more processing power than you currently have.

So my suggestion is to try a new DVB-C receiver card. It should have better processing power than your current one.

• Da Flex

But digital devices has pretty good Tuners I am about to say those are top of the Line.

gabigabi

Just thinking Out loud...

could be that Other Users/hardware in the Same Line could produce Errors to the cable (daisychained cable). Are there Terminator s at the end of the Line...

If you say your TV also Had Errors.

Regards

Nicolas