nuc + netflix 1080p

• Official Post

Most NUC devices are technically capable of playing software decoded Netflix streams in 1080p (and in the past this was possible) but in the last year or so Netflix has implemented DRM changes that restrict Kodi (on Linux) to the SD versions of their content. Feel free to show Netflix DRM the middle-finger and use another service.

• Most NUC devices are technically capable of playing software decoded Netflix streams in 1080p (and in the past this was possible) but in the last year or so Netflix has implemented DRM changes that restrict Kodi (on Linux) to the SD versions of their content. Feel free to show Netflix DRM the middle-finger and use another service.

actually, my arm based streamer does allow 1080p streaming but the video freezes instantly while the audio continues to play.

I thought of nuc because afaik it is powerful enough to use sw decoding.

as for netflix's middle finger, afaik, there is not much of alternative, disney+ and amazon doesn't support linux at all (last I heard), I cannot get cbs access, hulu doesn't seems worth it and I get netflix for free...

in another thread I've asked the same question, one of the users posted it works well for him.

• actually, my arm based streamer does allow 1080p streaming but the video freezes instantly while the audio continues to play.

I thought of nuc because afaik it is powerful enough to use sw decoding.

as for netflix's middle finger, afaik, there is not much of alternative, disney+ and amazon doesn't support linux at all (last I heard), I cannot get cbs access, hulu doesn't seems worth it and I get netflix for free...

in another thread I've asked the same question, one of the users posted it works well for him.

All of these stupid streaming services use some form of DRM (not really their fault, the content owners require it as part of the licensing contracts)

I think the alternative is to use a static local media library rather than streaming. Buy blurays, (new films can be expensive, but plenty of good older content in bargain bins) rip to disk, enjoy. As an added bonus you'll get much better bitrates than with streaming content.

If streaming from the major branded streaming services is what you want to do, LibreElec/Kodi may not be the solution for you. I recommend a Roku. They are cheap and get the job done. :p Other than that, just about every TV you can buy these days comes with built in "smart" functionality.

I don't trust IOT on my network, but if you do, that's easy.

Most NUC devices are technically capable of playing software decoded Netflix streams in 1080p (and in the past this was possible) but in the last year or so Netflix has implemented DRM changes that restrict Kodi (on Linux) to the SD versions of their content. Feel free to show Netflix DRM the middle-finger and use another service.

All of that said, wasn't Leia supposed to add support for DRM in apps? I vaguely remember some controversy around this. Some people hated it, others suggested it would be a way to shed the "piracy" image Kodi had due to many shady apps.

I would have thught this would have allowed for official apps from many of these companies, but maybe not.

Edited once, last by mattlach (July 24, 2020 at 9:57 PM).