50/60 fps video playback issues on RPi 3

• Quote from kodi.log

2020-07-16 16:40:29.111 T:1390015360 DEBUG: COMXVideo::Open - decoder_component(0x0x5d414ba8), input_port(0x82), output_port(0x83) hdmiclocksync 1

vs.

Quote from @chewitt

Do not "sync playback to display" as that will force everything to be resampled and ARM devices are rubbish at that.

• Both options exist, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

"Sync playback to display" is disabled. I know it's problematic, it's always been problematic - it's not something that suddenly broke in 9.2.3.

• My point is that both options could be same. I don't think that a display refresh rate can vary all the time, so "hdmiclocksync" probably means "sync playback to display", not vice versa.

If so, it could be a bug. Maybe the corresponding GUI setting has been overwritten by a wrong compiler flag. When "sync playback to display" is always active, it can result in frame drops.

PS: I have been informed the devs. Stay cool. 8)

• The two options have completely different purposes, hdmiclocksync is changing the output refresh rate to match the content when you start playing a video. You can see it only happens when starting/stopping playback in the logs.

"hdmiclocksync" is specific to that function in omxplayer i.e. "Display refresh rate to match video" as per the documentation - not the other way around.