Posts by Zilog Jones

I've had this intermittent issue with poor performance when watching 1080p50 or 1080p60 video (internet streaming e.g. YouTube) on my RPi 3, which seems to have got consistently worse since upgrading to 9.2.3 and seems to happen all the time now.

The problem I see is a lot of dropped frames, or stuttering.

Log sample:

If I try MMAL instead of OMXPlayer, I get no stuttering (audio plays fine) but a massive amount of dropped frames for prolonged periods. Either option is mostly unwatchable.

Locally played videos seem fine, though I don't have any 50/60 fps content. 1080i50 from TV broadcasts play back fine (tvheadend live or recordings). I've not encountered any issues with 30 fps or lower framerates.

I increased the memorysize to 52428800 in advancedsettings.xml as I was seeing some buffering issues in the logs previously, but this issue persists.

I'm on 8.2.5 here and still have problems, although it's different now - either the channels will play fine with no issues (no green gunge like before), or not at all and throw constant "Continuity counter" errors. It appears to be channels on certain muxes that are less reliable than others, e.g. 10847V on 28.2 °E - but for some reason if I tune to some other mux (e.g. 10773H) then back to the unreliable one it is much more likely to work. It seems somewhat consistent with changing between polarisation, but I'm not sure if that's just coincidental.

I'm on an RPi3 with a DVBSky S960 (reported as Montage Technology M88DS3103 in tvheadend).

I tried the official 8.0.2 build on my RPi2, seemed a lot better than before in that channels were actually watchable again, but still getting occasional green gunge (continuity errors in Tvheadend), and for whatever reason Channel 5 HD (UK Freesat) was a total garbled mess - so bad it would crash Tvheadend completely. Using "MMAL - advanced" deinterlacing.

Trying smp's latest build (without media_build) now - much more stable (Channel 5 HD will play OK) but still occasional continuity errors when playing live - 8 errors in about 15 minutes from testing just now (BBC 1 HD). I tend to watch recordings more than live, which seem to have less errors (lower load I guess) - though it can choke if for example I'm playing some other video while it's recording.

there is a official 4.2 packages from Tvheadend since ~2weeks now :)

They need to update their website then :) : AptRepository - Tvheadend

I'll try if I have the time.

I guess you mean Ubuntu 17.04? I'll see what I can do, but it may mean building tvheadend from source as they don't make packages for it yet, and I'm not too experienced with that kind of stuff - unless someone can point me to an easier way of streaming from a tuner in Ubuntu?

Thanks for this thread - I've been having trouble with my RPi 2 and DVBSky S960 since upgrading to LibreELEC 8.0 (green unwatchable mess on most channels, countless continuity errors in tvheadend), but smp's build without media_build seems to be working well for me (media_build was better than 4.9 kernel, but some channels were still bad or only occasionally worked).

However, I'm not sure this problem is RPi-specific. I tried the same setup with my tuner on an x86 laptop (i5-3340M) running LibreELEC 8.0.1 (official build) and was having the exact same problem - it was essentially unusable with the constant continuity errors in TVH, as even the bouquet/mux scan was failing (UK Freesat channels). Let me know if you want me to try any further testing.