"pulse-eight cec adapter" notification stuck on screen on 9.2.3

• I've updated from Libreelec 9.2.1 to 9.2.3.

Running on a Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB

At boot I now get

"pulse-eight cec adapter" notification stuck on screen.

It does not go awaing and prevents any other notification to be displayed.

Going back to 921, it works ok.

Back again o 923: notification stuck.

Is there any idea on what may be the issue ?

I've compared kodi.log from both 921 and 923 versions using winmerge and there is no differences (besides the obvious version changes in libreelec, kodi and kernel):

There is also no warning or error reported in journal regarding hdmi or cec

diff lines in 921:

Code
    NOTICE: Starting Kodi (18.6 Git:leia_pi4_18.6-Leia). Platform: Linux ARM 32-bit
    NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x32 build
    NOTICE: Kodi compiled 2020-03-03 by GCC 8.3.0 for Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.19.106 (267114)
    NOTICE: Running on LibreELEC (official): 9.2.1, kernel: Linux ARM 32-bit version 4.19.106

NOTICE: ADDON: xbmc.addon v18.6.0 installed

over_voltage_avs=-23750

NOTICE: Checking resolution 23

dff lines in 923:

Anyone else with this issue ?

• Official Post

Just to make sure... Are you using a Pulse-Eight USB-CEC adapter?

Because the RPi's do not need one.

Do you also have a PC connected to your TV with a Pulse-Eight USB-CEC adapter at the same time?

Also provide a full debug-enabled kodi.log file, just in case.

• I had the same experience with a Raspberry Pi 2, updating from 9.2.1 to 9.2.3 resulted in a stuck HDMI CEC notification at the top right and a non working remote. Downgrading back to 9.2.1 and everything works as before. Only the HDMI cable is connected from the Pi to the TV.

Edited once, last by amediauser (June 9, 2020 at 9:13 PM).

• I’ve been using libreelec with rpi4 since it was released.
    never had an issue with cec

the pi is connected to the tv with a hdmi cable.

this issue happens only with version 9.2.3

I’m just using my Sony Android tv with its remote control - had connected multiple different devices , including also a pi3 and different os distributions without issues.

• Just checked my RPi4 4GB and 9.2.3.

It connects to "TV", and the message box ends after a few seconds.

It's basically a new install: installed the test version 9.2.3 and then upgraded to the final 9.2.3 version.

I didn't and don't have a persistent CEC message box.

• CEC is working fine here, too (RPi4, LG TV), and I haven't spotted any CEC related changes between 9.2.1 and 9.2.3 yet.

nvdias could you try replacing start.elf and fixup.dat in /flash with the files from 9.2.1 and test if this makes a difference?

so long,

Hias

• ah, and it would also be interesting to see the full kodi debug log and journal after the stuck notification appeared.

ssh in, then run pastekodi and post the URL.

so long,

Hias

• CEC is working fine here, too (RPi4, LG TV), and I haven't spotted any CEC related changes between 9.2.1 and 9.2.3 yet.

nvdias could you try replacing start.elf and fixup.dat in /flash with the files from 9.2.1 and test if this makes a difference?

so long,

Hias

Hi,

I've made as you suggested replacing start.elf and fixup.dat with the ones from 921 over 923.

The same issue: Stuck pluse-eight CEC adater notification

Back to 9.2.1: All ok

ah, and it would also be interesting to see the full kodi debug log and journal after the stuck notification appeared.

ssh in, then run pastekodi and post the URL.

so long,

Hias

HiassofT I have the logs from a run with 9.2.3 and the notification stuck.

But they have a lot of personal info (tvhaedend, inadyn, letsencrypt, they all place to much personal info in the journal).

May I send-them to you as an attachment by private message ?

EDIT: There is no info about the notification in the logs, but I may share them anyway,

• Actually it might be better to just post logs from a plain LE/kodi installation - that won't have any personal info and will rule out issues due to setting changes as well.

If you have a spare SD card write LE 9.2.3 to it, if not simply stop kodi, rename the .kodi folder to .kodi-bak and start kodi again (and later remove the newly created plain .kodi folder and move .kodi-bak in place again - with kodi stopped).

Edit: to create the logs, enable debug logging and kodi and then power off the pi, then start up again - that should make sure the CEC connection is started completely "fresh" (at least from the RPi side).

so long,

Hias

• Found it !

So, let me explain:

Following HiassofT sugestion of renaming .kodi and running a clean kodi install: Everything works just fine ! No stuck notification

So: What's wrong ?

Back to "my" .kodi.

Went into peripheral definitions, looking into userdata, but nothing.

Started to remove everything that it was not default, disabled and enable add-ons, etc ...

And remembered to looin into config files, as .... advancedsettings.xml

namely this section:

Code
    <gui>
      <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
      <smartredraw>true</smartredraw>
    </gui>

Removing this part from advancedsetings.xml solves the problem of the hanging cec notificaiton at startup.

Thank you HiassofT for pointing out the way

:)

• Running on Raspberry Pi Zero, I have the same issue. Using smartredraw means the UI freezes on boot, with the persistent CEC notification. As the setting saves a lot of CPU usage, I want to keep it enabled.

Something has changed in LibreELEC 9.2.3 as it also worked fine for me in 9.2.1. This issue is also in nightly LibreELEC-RPi.arm-9.80-nightly-20200628-d1e3bf7.img.gz.