4k Hevc issue on decent enough system

• I am using a 6300t - 8GB - GT1030 - SSD with LibreElec 9.0.2 on it. The computer is connected to an E9 Oled from LG

When i play a 4K HEVC file (BluRay 2160p UHD HDR DTS-HD AC3 NLsubs REMUX) the movie doesnt run smooth. But as far as i know my system should be more than enough to play files like this right?

I turn log on, it shows a FPS of 24,4, sometimes a drops a bit.

The 4 CPU Threads are a bit busy, 85% +. Which is a bit weird because hardware encoding is turned on.

So i have two questions, how can i lower cpu usage and how can i play my 4k files smooth?

• The 4 CPU Threads are a bit busy, 85% +. Which is a bit weird because hardware encoding is turned on.

Welcome to the world of Linux, where Nvidia graphics do not support 10bit video in a VDPAU driver setup, only 8-bit. Check the video processing when pressing 'o' on your keyboard, it will probably mention it uses SW (=software) decoding, and thus letting your CPU do all the hard work.

The video card itself is fine, but not fully utilized as it could/should be. Nvidia now utilizes a new driver method NVDEC/NVENC in Linux, but so far no Kodi developer has felt the urge to dive into yet another deep hole for coming up with a solution. Nvidia keeping things closed sourced is the main problem. For Kodi usage, Intel and AMD have brighter futures in Linux, next to the usual Raspberry, Rockwell and Android boxes.

So i have two questions, how can i lower cpu usage and how can i play my 4k files smooth?

That will require a Windows operating system. Just because of all Nvidia's shenanigans in Linux mentioned above, Nvidia support is planned to be dropped by Kodi (and thus LibreELEC) after Kodi 19.

• Welcome to the world of Linux, where Nvidia graphics do not support 10bit video in a VDPAU driver setup, only 8-bit. Check the video processing when pressing 'o' on your keyboard, it will probably mention it uses SW (=software) decoding, and thus letting your CPU do all the hard work.

The video card itself is fine, but not fully utilized as it could/should be. Nvidia now utilizes a new driver method NVDEC/NVENC in Linux, but so far no Kodi developer has felt the urge to dive into yet another deep hole for coming up with a solution. Nvidia keeping things closed sourced is the main problem. For Kodi usage, Intel and AMD have brighter futures in Linux, next to the usual Raspberry, Rockwell and Android boxes.

That will require a Windows operating system. Just because of all Nvidia's shenanigans in Linux mentioned above, Nvidia support is planned to be dropped by Kodi (and thus LibreELEC) after Kodi 19.

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation. Is there a silent AMD equivalent to the GT1030? Maybe a RX550? Or am i better of buying a new mainboard with an 3400G AMD cpu?

And i have got an Intel 6500 somewhere. Would that be an upgrade enough to run this kind of 4k files?

• Is there a silent AMD equivalent to the GT1030? Maybe a RX550?

Or am i better of buying a new mainboard with an 3400G AMD cpu?

I don't know, it is kind of a niche market, a silent discrete video card. The 3400G should have enough potential, and AMD has made promising steps in the Linux open-source world, it's still progressing. I don't have an AMD system available at this time, so I have no experience there. Some people do on the Kodi forum.

And i have got an Intel 6500 somewhere. Would that be an upgrade enough to run this kind of 4k files?

What you want is GPU acceleration. A graphics card can do video stuff so much better and faster than any CPU.

• So i switch to an AMD 3200g systeem. I was hoping i could just plugin the ssd with libreelec on it.

But "Failed to start Xorg Server" is what i am getting. Plus "is your gpu supported"

Is it not possible to run LibreElec on a new AMD 3200g with Vega 8 gpu systeem?

• I installed 9.2.2 on an different ssd. the video is working now. The load on cpu is not even 5% now playing :) It does look like i see a mini freeze every couple of seconds. But that could maybe be fixed by playing with the settings.

Edited once, last by Operations (April 15, 2020 at 6:55 PM).