Raspberry pi 4 - Wait for 4k HDR support or buy another board?

• Better don't compare it to Rockchip, Amlogic or Allwinner - they needed 4+ years and are partly not even there yet

you should know better.

I tend to disagree (except about AML part) :)

Me too (what a suprise).

I'm not really aware what Rpi currrently supports - but reading the comments suggest, it doesn't support 4k@60, and no proper h264 decoding (beside sw) - which is sort of essential these days. Both is well working on RK/AW. No differences for HDR (everything is still 8-bit output, but sends HDR infoframes).

That it takes longer is kind of in the nature of things (I can only speak for RK) - RPi is kind of a single use-case SoC, while other SoCs have way more HW compontents to support - media stuff is not always (never) 1st priority.

• you should know better.

I guess I didn't expressed correctly what I meant to say. Looking from mainline POV.

RK/AW took a lot longer (time from hw release) to get into a proper usable shape (I ignore the vendor kernel approach) compared to the RPi4.

So if RPi took him too long to work properly he has basically no other SBC that was quicker.

And ofc Amlogic is sadly not even properly usable for media yet - after 6 years.