Hauppauge PCI-e Tuner with IR Receiver ?

• Hello
    I have been trying to setup libreelec on my HTPC
    The HTPC runs fine under Kodi 16.1 + windows 10 but I would like to run the JeOS concept, with TVHeadend PVR
    Hadware configuration :
    Intel Skylake Core i5 CPU
    8 GB RAM
    Atheros Wifi Adapter
    Hauppauge HVR-2205 DVB-T/T2 Dual tuner card with IR receiver and Hauppauge remote (not MCE)
    Panasonic 4K TV

Libreelec itself runs fine at 3840x2160 resolution with hardware hevc (8 bit, no 10 bit), but no matter what I try, I am unable to get the Hauppauge IR receiver recognized, which is the final hurdle before I ditch my Kodi 16.1 on Windows10+Mediaportal backend (running fine on the same machine)

I have tried the following versions and same result in all three
    1. LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2
    2. LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.90.007
    3. LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0-Milhouse-20161027210429-#1027

Hauppauge card gets recognised as below from the dmesg ouput

So the tveeprom section sees that there is a IR receiver but that never shows up in input devices as below
    The HVR-2205 card has an IR transmitter as well, but that is not recognised (I don't use it, so don't mind)

Can someone please advise how I get my Hauppauge IR Receiver recognised under libreelec
    Thanks very much

Edited once, last by gujal (October 29, 2016 at 1:59 AM).

• You need the hauppauge ir drivers from the install disk. I don't know if there is a driver for Linux.

You might try hauppauge support

Code
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr2250.html

As per Hauppauge, support is built in since kernel 4.2 (OpenElec 6.0.1 onwards)

Code
    http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html

dmesg shows that the card is recognised correctly, so the driver is compiled in the kernel, may be ir receiver needs a kernel module or something.
    Any help appreciated

Edited once, last by gujal (October 30, 2016 at 9:36 PM).

• The TV card is recognized, the ir receiver is not. The eeprom on the TV card is reporting that there is a ir receiver attached to it because it was programmed with that information.

At least that is my limited understanding. I don't recall trying my hvr-1250 on linux. I can't find the ir receiver.

Maybe a lircd.conf would do it, I don't know if it uses lirc.

You are reading the WinTV Support for Linux differently from me.

Installing the WinTV TV tuner on Ubuntu version 14.04.02 For the WinTV-HVR-955, WinTV-HVR-2255, WinTV-HVR-2205 and WinTV-HVR-1955/1975 Notes: - Ubuntu 14.04.2 already includes the 955Q firmware v4l-cx231xx-avcore-01.fw in /lib/firmware - These directions are based on a clean retail version of Ubuntu 14.04.2 Desktop LTS with Kernel 3.16-30.

Edited once, last by donbrew (October 30, 2016 at 10:45 PM).

• The firmware and driver have been included as part of the linux kernel since 4.2 as per Hauppauge.
    The instruction are specifically for the 3.x kernel

This is also confirmed on the LinuxTV page

Code
    https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-2205

I did check if the firmware was available on the default 7.0.2 install and found them, and I also added the demod firmware from openelec as per the instructions on the LinuxTV page

Following advice from Kodi forum I created a /storage/.config/autostart.sh file with these two lines

Code
    modprobe rc_hauppauge
    modprobe ir-kbd-i2c

so lsmod now shows this

But still there is no response to the remote. I tried running irw and pressed the buttons but no response on screen.
    I also tried running the ir-keytable command but I keep getting

Code
    Couldn't find any node at /sys/class/rc/rc*.

I did put lircd.conf for hauppauge from

Code
    [http://lirc-remotes.sourceforge.net/remotes-table.html

Did try a few of the different ones available there

Please advise what steps I am missing.
    Thanks for your support.

Edited once, last by gujal (October 31, 2016 at 12:52 AM).

• Is lirc installed? How current are the directions you are following, I don't think modprobe is used anymore, maybe systemctl now?

The new lirc is less than a year old and the internet is full of 20 year old tutorials that no longer work. And the tuts at lirc.org are not totally correct.

that node error sounds familiar, I can't recall what fixed it. I was fighting with making the GPIO receiver work with Kodi in Raspbian. Gave up.

I think " systemctl start lircd" is the command, or something like that..

Edited once, last by donbrew (October 31, 2016 at 2:01 AM).

• Is lirc installed? How current are the directions you are following, I don't think modprobe is used anymore, maybe systemctl now?

The new lirc is less than a year old and the internet is full of 20 year old tutorials that no longer work. And the tuts at lirc.org are not totally correct.

that node error sounds familiar, I can't recall what fixed it. I was fighting with making the GPIO receiver work with Kodi in Raspbian. Gave up.

I think " systemctl start lircd" is the command, or something like that..

I'm sorry but there is a lot of miss information here.

Yes, lirc comes with LibreELEC.
    Modprobe is still used however I would put the module name in a file called
    /storage/.config/modules-load.d/nuvoton-ir.conf
    Instead of using autostart.sh

Systemctl start lircd won't work. We activate lircd via udev.

• Thanks, I have now put the module names in the /storage/.config/modules-load.d/nuvoton-ir.conf as suggested and removed autostart.sh
    lsmod shows them loaded
    I have lircd.conf in the /storage/.config/ directory
    However the lircd shows as if it is still using the blank lircd.conf file in /run/lirc as per the following

Code
    # ps -ef |grep lirc
      259 root       0:00 /usr/sbin/eventlircd -f --evmap=/etc/eventlircd.d --socket=/run/lirc/lircd --release=_UP
      640 root       0:00 {kodi.sh} /bin/sh /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.sh --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
      645 root       0:10 /usr/lib/kodi/kodi.bin --standalone -fs --lircdev /run/lirc/lircd
      772 root       0:00 grep lirc

Edited once, last by gujal (October 31, 2016 at 3:32 AM).

• You are right, lirc is not running, I mistook eventlircd for lircd.
    Will await further instructions. Also there is conflicting information about the IR receiver on the HVR-xxx5 cards, some sites indicate as if there is no driver available for these newer cards.

Edited once, last by gujal (October 31, 2016 at 7:15 AM).

• lrusak

Here is the output as per your specification above. As you mentioned, the last file is empty. Thanks for your time.

Edited once, last by gujal (October 31, 2016 at 9:00 PM).

• Thanks for that, let me know when you have a build, and I will report back with the results.
    I am currently using LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2.img.gz

Edited once, last by gujal (October 31, 2016 at 8:05 AM).

• I don't know if this bit from lirc.org helps anything, but it might.
    LIRC - Linux Infrared Remote Control

TV cards
    To use any remote control receivers connected directly to a bttv based TV card you will need a working bttv setup in your kernel. For most TV cards we rely on bttv autodetection. That way you don't have to give any parameters to the module as they are selected internally depending on the information the bttv module gives us. This means that you should pay attention that your TV card is detected correctly by bttv, as can be checked using dmesg(1).

• Thanks for that, let me know when you have a build, and I will report back with the results.
    I am currently using LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-7.0.2.img.gz

I only build against master, sorry.

Here is a test build
    LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0-devel-20161031094040-r24348-g560ee96.tar

Remove that file you created earlier in /storage/.config/modules-load.d

Then update to this build.

Then try loading the lirc_dev and lirc_zilog modules.

Then post another dmesg

Code
    dmesg | pastebinit
  • Thanks for the new build. Here is the output for the three commands as before
    # lsmod | pastebinit
    QaiW

# dmesg | pastebinit
    HIWA

# udevadm info -q all -a /dev/lirc0 | pastebinit
    Unknown device, absolute path in /dev/ or /sys expected.
    IOAI

Edited once, last by lrusak (October 31, 2016 at 10:08 PM).