Master browser - can't edit smb.conf

• I've got my Windows 2008R2 file server set as Master Browser by default. I have two Libreelec devices. Whenever I reboot or turn off the server, one of the Libreelec devices grabs the Master Browser position and it takes a bunch of reboots to finally get it back to the server. I want to disable master browser function in the Libreelec devices. I tried editing \etc\samba\smb.conf but it won't let me save it.

Edited once, last by tkwou (March 28, 2020 at 4:19 AM).

• Thanks Jocke.Sve, I know I can edit /storage/.smb/smb.conf with any editor. They are already set to

[global]

preferred master = no

local master = no

domain master = no

client lanman auth = yes

lanman auth = yes

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536

lock directory = /storage/.smb/

name resolve order = bcast host

The file I need to edit is /etc/samba/smb.conf. The Libreelec device is still grabbing Master Browser whenever it gets a chance.

• you might use "testparm -v" on an command line to see which setting from what smb.conf is at least in use.

e.g.

testparm -v | grep "domain master"

what I read years ago: Browser election is a long lasting and a ongoing process.

IIRC there were/are settings to force a Browser.

• The /storage/.smb/smb.conf location is not used anywhere in modern versions of LE .. use /storage/.config/samba.conf (rename the sample conf) and set the following values (notice they are uncommented):

# The following are default values for the master selection process

local master = no

preferred master = no

domain master = no

os level = 100

reboot to make the new config active; if /storage/.config/samba.conf exists it is used in preference to the embedded one.

This will not prevent one of the LE devices from being elected master in the event you turn off the server master browser; the system works to always have one elected master. However, with that config and the high oslevel value (lowest is better in an election) the LE devices should conceed the election to the server quickly when it reappears, although quickly is not a word that should be used here.

• Thanks chewitt, I see the problem. Setting local master = no will still not prevent it from being elected master if no one else is available. All my other computers are Windows 10 and they have Master Browser disabled. The only important setting is OS level being high enough for it to concede to the Server.