[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• I have a Tonbux q box and would like to use this but android is a bit of a mystery to me. I can't find out if it's a s905 or the 905x variant as sites have conflicting info. Does anyone have one that could advise which file and method I should use to put this on?

Would like to use dual boot if I can so I can easily revert. Reason for wanting to do it is because both kodi and spmc give me problems when trying to pass DTSMA

Edited once, last by crsnwby (April 3, 2017 at 9:35 PM).

• Would be possible to add TWRP flashable images to the download, please?
    I have V88PRO (no reset button at all, no SD/USB boot capability) with the TWRP + older LE 7.x.x builds and I'd like to upgrade to the LE 8.

Edited once, last by Radon (April 3, 2017 at 10:08 PM).

• It's not possible due to lots of Android/TWRP/recovery versions available. If you already have LE installed, you should be able to run reboot update or reboot recovery over SSH to boot from SD card or USB drive. You should also be able to upgrade in-place if using one of my LE 7 builds.

• I have a Tonbux q box and would like to use this but android is a bit of a mystery to me. I can't find out if it's a s905 or the 905x variant as sites have conflicting info. Does anyone have one that could advise which file and method I should use to put this on?

Would like to use dual boot if I can so I can easily revert. Reason for wanting to do it is because both kodi and spmc give me problems when trying to pass DTSMA

Method and image file is the same for all type of S905(X) boxes and described in the first post of this thread.

Use any android cpu-analysing app to find out about your cpu and ram. Then chose the correct device tree and copy/rename according to first post.

• Method and image file is the same for all type of S905(X) boxes and described in the first post of this thread.

Use any android cpu-analysing app to find out about your cpu and ram. Then chose the correct device tree and copy/rename according to first post.

Will it work if I put the 905 image on a 905x device as the last box I had died when I used the wrong one.

• What does Armbian have to do with my builds? I would understand that kind of post if it was something usable for LE, otherwise you only confuse users suggesting that 4.9 kernel is available. It is not. Amlogic provided sources is a work-in-progress, mainline kernel is a work-in-progress. It's not anything usable for us yet.

Sorry, I think it is already usable.
    The VC-1 patch will you add your next build?

• It's not possible due to lots of Android/TWRP/recovery versions available. If you already have LE installed, you should be able to run reboot update or reboot recovery over SSH to boot from SD card or USB drive. You should also be able to upgrade in-place if using one of my LE 7 builds.

Thanks, I will try the  reboot update. The reboot recovery boots into TWRP.
    BTW, it is possible to flash u-boot besides the TWRP to allow SD/USB boot or these two occupy the same partition?

BTW2, I have flashed the lastest LE7 from here: LibreELEC 7.0 For S905/X - FreakTab.com

• The VC-1 patch will you add your next build?

Yes, but please note that it fixes only some issues with VC-1 playback, not all of them.

BTW, it is possible to flash u-boot besides the TWRP to allow SD/USB boot or these two occupy the same partition?

U-boot is in separate partition but I don't provide any. This is the task for the manufacturer. I used to provide u-boot (bootloader) for S805 boxes and it was a mistake.

BTW2, I have flashed the lastest LE7 from here: http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...for-s905-x

You should ask the maintainter for an update.
    [hr]
    OP updated with 8.0.1c build. Please note that I now have much less time to test my builds, I welcome some feedback. :)

Edited once, last by kszaq (April 4, 2017 at 11:35 AM).

• Hi There,

When I use "Adjust display refresh rate" Kodi also sets my tv resolution to match the source, But If I set Kodi Resolution to 720p, and using HW acceleration, then things don't work right.

If the source playing is 1080 then TV is set to 1080 etc.. But i looks like the HW thinks it's 720 and the picture is also rescaled, and I can only see 1/4 of the picture.
    If i disable HW acceleration, it works fine.
    Anyone else have this problem?

Ver: LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1a-temp_sensor_disabled.

• Please note that I now have much less time to test my builds,

Please take the time to deal with real life, regardless of what issues arise with LE.
    Your work has made so many lame boxes useful, we can all wait until you have the time to perfect our irritations.
    Thanks for making cheap devices impressive.

• Thanks for the update ;)

So, all i need to upgrade version A to version C is put the following files in update folder?
    Dont need to rename gxl_p212_2g.dtb right?

Code
    LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-8.0.1c.tar
    gxl_p212_2g.dtb
  • Got it working, didn't realize it was a side load off the SD card along side the android OS, the instructions are a bit google translate so hard to make sense of, so some guess work was needed.

Got a working version for my Tonbux QBox which operates and passes through DTS MA and DD HD which was my goal but have a couple of questions... if anyone could help as they might just be features of the hardware I'm using.

1. First thing I noticed is my air remotes back button sometimes seems to get confused with context menu until I use mouse mode from the remote button and then disable mouse mode.
    2. Its a lot slower than running android OS and kodi on top of it. Lag in menus and delays navigating etc. Is this because its running from my SD card rather than being the internal OS?

Apart from that it works great but with the delays in menus I may switch back and only use when I have to for DTS MA files.

• 2. Its a lot slower than running android OS and kodi on top of it. Lag in menus and delays navigating etc. Is this because its running from my SD card rather than being the internal OS?

Yes, a fast SD card is recommended. The slower the card, the bigger the lags.

• ForceRGB seems to work again.
    Fractional rates are set again (at least according to dmesg, I am not sensitive enough to notice)
    The few vc-1 files that I have work fine

Gui seems less snappy than in 1a, was already present in 1b. Saw severe lag after first boot, got better after waiting a while and rebooting.

Even then, the system shows a load >2 with 40% cpu usage, when kodi is doing nothing but scrolling a slightly longer filename in the file selection menu. Top shows no other active processes besides kodi. Will test and compare further, but might not find the time today.

Edited once, last by mmpp (April 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM).

• I found a bug. Everything else works soooo smooth.

Whenever I start a m3u8 stream somehow the skin (clean NAND install/default setting/default skin/no addons besides Zattoo & USTVNow) causes problems.

13:32:22.565 T:4120741904 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
    13:32:22.594 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
    13:32:22.753 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer
    13:32:23.106 T:3543135136 WARNING: CSkinInfo: failed to load skin settings --> takes over 3,5 seconds
    13:32:26.488 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Opening stream: 0 source: 256
    13:32:26.489 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Creating video codec with codec id: 28
    13:32:26.489 T:3485655968 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10
    13:32:26.491 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Creating video thread 13:32:26.492 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Opening stream: 1 source: 256
    13:32:26.492 T:3579835296 NOTICE: running thread: video_thread
    13:32:26.492 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Finding audio codec for: 86018
    13:32:26.493 T:3485655968 NOTICE: Creating audio thread
    13:32:26.494 T:3563058080 NOTICE: running thread: CVideoPlayerAudio::Process() 13:32:26.516 T:3563058080 NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86018, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

Edited once, last by yomo86 (April 4, 2017 at 3:04 PM).

• I'm having some DVB-T issues with versions 8.0.1b and 8.0.1c (8.0.1a is fine). Video is very choppy and showing as skipping a lot of frames. I've uploaded a sample that I've just quickly recorded as an example @ Dropbox - Escape to the Country-BBC ONE HD2017-04-0415-00-1.ts

Shows recorded in version 8.0.1b (I assume c is the same but I haven't tried) playback fine on 8.0.1a.

Edited once, last by Hans Gruber (April 4, 2017 at 3:10 PM).