[8.0.2e] LibreELEC 8.0 for S905/S905X

• I have a S905X amlogic,compile with source code : git clone GitHub - LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI,and PROJECT=Odroid_C2 ARCH=aarch64 make image -j8,I made a usb-sd creater:
    can't boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    why ?why ?

ODroid-C2 is Amlogic S905, not S905X. Also it is a very specific hardware platform, so it is ok to not boot on your generic amlogic device.

Other S905(X) devices are not yet fully included in the libreelec git. For the latest S905(X) kernel and libreelec source, see kzsaq's git:

GitHub - kszaq/LibreELEC.tv: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi

and the release threads here in the forum.

• first, thank you so much kszaq! the manufacturers of these cheap boxes owe you a huge amount of their profit.
    latest build works very well for me, I was expecting a plethora of problems buying budget and instead I was up and running in no time.

now the question: are fractional refresh rates supposed to work in these alpha builds?

I can see stutters every 41 seconds when playing 23,976fps files. system settings only offer integer refresh rates to choose from. as codecinfo is gone from krypton I cannot check in software and my TV doesn't distinguish between 23,976 and 24hz either.

this is on a Nexbox A95x, Nov 9th build. If fractional refresh rates are supposed to work, I will gladly provide debug logs

• ODroid-C2 is Amlogic S905, not S905X. Also it is a very specific hardware platform, so it is ok to not boot on your generic amlogic device.

Other S905(X) devices are not yet fully included in the libreelec git. For the latest S905(X) kernel and libreelec source, see kzsaq's git:

GitHub - kszaq/LibreELEC.tv: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi

and the release threads here in the forum.

thank you !
    when I compile GitHub - kszaq/LibreELEC.tv: 'Just enough OS' for Kodi some errors occurred,but compile GitHub - LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI success!
    does they use different gcc?
    error like that :
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc_s.so when searching for -lgcc_s
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
    Makefile:88: recipe for target 'fullbench32' failed
    make[2]: *** [fullbench32] Error 1
    make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
    /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.8/libgcc_s.so when searching for -lgcc_s

• Hi,

I just tried the most current 7.90 build and the 7.0.2 build on my parents christmas box (s905x). I did not need to copy a custom dtb.img (I tried, but problems stayed the same).
    No installation was made (nand), just booted from microsd.
    RAM (2GB) were recognized, no odd cpu core usages, ...

During "Initial Setup"-phase I selected my Wifi and entered my passphrase. Then an error popped up at the bottom, saying it got no response. The wifi list refreshed and correctly displayed an assigned DHCP-IP.
    Also the LibreElec "Network"-information-panel displayed this IP, also subnet and DNS IPs were correct.

But I was not able to reach my LAN (eg. samba shares) nor WAN (addon updates). My other computers were not able to reach the box' IP (via SSH). Plugging in a lan cable made it get assigned another IP - which is reachable by my computers, also LAN access is possible again.

I tried that autostart.sh-thing (it also executed without errors) but after restarts the Wifi-option in LE went missing - so I assume it wasn't the right thing to do.

dmesg of the box mentions this:

So it seems as if the driver which is selected, is not perfectly fitting to the one of the hardware in the box. While others had "BT and Wifi"-problems I just tried BT and it paired without any trouble with my Smartphone.

Any suggestions how to narrow down the bug - and how to bring wifi to function?

Ah... and as I am just posting: CEC was recognized correctly, but remote of my TV still controlled the TV instead of the box. In my test with 7.0.2 this was working as intended. (edit: now it is working again... hmm, will observe that a bit).

Edit:
    This is the dmesg-part when enabling wifi again and connecting to one of my routers.

Interesting here: it does some "country" things and fails there. "CN" - I am not from China nor from the "US". I also tried to change "language" to "German" but it just takes a while and stays at "English" (edit 20:13 - tried it again and seems it was a server issue, interface changed to "German" - but this of course did not get rid of the wifi bug).

I know that the "country settings" define the power used for transmitting (in Germany we have different maximum values than other countries) but it should not really stop data flow over wifi.

Edit 2 (22:51):
    I extracted some files from the android-firmware - and had a look at the files of the system. For Wifi I am not sure what chip they use:
    - wifi/RT2870STA_7601.dat and RT2870STA_7603.dat seem to be for "Ralink RT2870"
    - wifi/various-numbers-Directories/fw_bcm4339a0_ag.bin or fw_bcm43455c0_ag / fw_bcm43241b4_ag ... seem to be related to "Broadcom chips"

I cannot tell which one is finally used. Is there an "easy to follow" way to add new chip drivers/modules to the LE installation (stored on a micro-sd) to test them out?
    Maybe I could "copy" some of the config files from android to LE ?

There was no build.prop but a default.pro contained "ro.bootimage.build.fingerprint=Amlogic/p212/p212:6.0.1/MHC19J/20161013:userdebug/test-keys" which isn't really helpful identifying the "product/model" - so I have to trust it to be a "(Plater) Mini M8S II".

Thanks in advance,

bye
    Ron

Edited once, last by GWR (November 29, 2016 at 10:03 PM).

• (There is no reason to "full quote" - it makes it harder than needed to see the answer)

Even if I doubted that this is the solution (I think its a driver issue, not a LE config issue) I tried it.
    Did not help.

But nonetheless: thanks for the suggestion.

bye
    Ron

• GWR From the short piece of the log you posted it looks that the driver is loaded properly and your WiFi chip is AP6212. If it connects and gets IP address - the driver is working. Remember that some boxes have very weak WiFi antennas and while you were able to connect, you might not be able to transfer any data if received signal quality is low.

Don't worry about "CN" country code in the log - this one is from chip configuration file and is replaced later by cfg80211 to match your contry.

• Thanks for your fast reply.

I would not worry about "slow wifi" if it was slow - but it just does not do something "data transfer" wise (no incoming packages from that device seen in wireshark Wireshark of my computer receives "airplay" packages from the device)

- it works when booting from android (accessing samba shares, retrieving data from internet)
    - it does not allow a communication when booted LE from the sd card

So I assume there is something borked. Maybe driver is not working as expected? Or a setting is incorrect (no "power").

Edit:
    - as mentioned I can see broadcasted "airplay" packages via wireshark, box also announces host to LAN (but not accessible from outside)
    - webpage via ip:8080 is not reachable
    - ssh'ing into the box is not possible (timeout)
    - I extracted my boxes boot.img and via "split_bootimage.pl" I splitted apart the dtb.img file, replaced the one of boot medium and tried that - without changes (if interested it in: its a ~80kb file but I was not able to "dtc" it as the magic numbers failed)

plugging in the lan-cable (possible until the device moves to my parents at christmas ;-)) makes everything reachable via the LAN-IP. So it is a direct matter with the wifi-chip/connection/setup and no "samba issue" or other misconfiguration

Edited once, last by GWR (November 30, 2016 at 8:59 AM).

• Can you please try 7.0.2.008 build? There was a change in AP6212 firmware that might have broken something. Unfortunately I do not have any S905+AP6212 box to test and no one complained before but it's worth giving a try.

• Can you please try 7.0.2.008 build?

Et voila... reformatted the card with your 008-build, connected to my AP and wireshark came alive fetching dozens of packets. Successfully SSHed into the box and yep.
    Works ...
    Edit1: ok ... stopped working after a very short period (ssh does no longer respond, addon-updates stay at 0%)

Edit2: So I tried a bit more: disconnecting the wifi, disabling/enabling wlan0 etc: for the first time it "repaired" it: was able to ssh in the box, kodi fetched the right sytem time (time zone etc from AP). But I was not able to reproduce it. I then restartet the whole box (real power-off with AC disconnect) and after startup it worked again ... for some seconds until it became more and more sluggish. Within the SSH console I checked "top" whether the sluggishness came from high cpu load... nope, kodi.bin <50%. But using "cursor up" for "last command" sometimes took 2-3 seconds, or even did not react at all. Retrieving a samba share somehow failed - maybe because of the veeeery low connection speed.

Edit3: I measured connection speed via "scp" and sometimes I get
    Upload speed: 1440.19 kB/s
    Download speed: 1885.92 kB/s
    sometimes
    Upload speed: 272.37 kB/s
    Download speed: 1449.15 kB/s
    and sometimes it just times out

Download speed (= from box to my computer) staying > 1400kB/s which far away from the possibilies for a "next room AP" but more than the opposite direction)

This makes a driver bug more and more likely to be the source.

Just for personal interest: this are the SCP speeds via the 100mbit lan connection:
    Upload speed (to box): 10607.92 kB/s
    Download speed (from box): 2321.63 kB/s

via lan the speed-limitations are in the other direction ... odd ;)

I also replaced the dtb.img file with mine as the other one failed to play videos (I only tried a 20mb mkv over smb share - which buffered 3-4 seconds and played for one minute before it "stopped" playing inbetween - playing it again finished the 2 minutes. Dunno if there is another "problem"...)

So I think it "works" but with a really non-constant transfer rate.

My remote has more keys than configured in the android-firmwares "remote.conf" (they ignore the "color buttons" and "numbers"). If there is interest I would use irrecord to fetch the data so the remote.conf would be complete).

It looks like this (ok, the "circular part" is split on mine, but keys and arrangement are the same)

Edited once, last by GWR (November 30, 2016 at 10:09 AM).

• Hi,

Is there a 905 build that I could flash via USB Burning Tool?
    I flashed about 5 different firmwares this way last night and that worked, but none of them would let me boot LE from SD card. I tried the toothpick method, update program etc..
    I dont want/need Android, just want the box (MXQ Pro 4K v1) to run LE

• USB Burning Tool needs full internal memory image and is device-specific. I don't think there will ever be a build that you can flash in USB Burning Tool.