Rock64 mpeg4 choppy playback

• Hello Guys,

Great work on the support for this platform!

I however have an issue with mpeg4 decoding on my Rock64 (2gb). I'm currently using the official 9.2 build from (Rockchip – LibreELEC) and from what I understand mpeg4 decoding is done in software. I need to remain at kodi 18.x , are there any other build that have mpeg4 hw enabled and are at 18.x?

Many thanks for all the hard work...

• Hi.

These older builds by kwiboo (Index of /test/old/) don't have choppy mpeg4 playback. I don't think they use HW decoding either, but the choppy playback is due to a scaling issue or something like that.

However, playback of HEVC files is broken on this build because it's Kernel 5.x and possibly some other stuff doesn't work fine as well.

• Hello Guys,

Great work on the support for this platform!

I however have an issue with mpeg4 decoding on my Rock64 (2gb). I'm currently using the official 9.2 build from (Rockchip – LibreELEC) and from what I understand mpeg4 decoding is done in software. I need to remain at kodi 18.x , are there any other build that have mpeg4 hw enabled and are at 18.x?

Many thanks for all the hard work...

The rk3229 images posted recently have mpeg4 hardware acceleration added.

I'll try to see if I can build a RK3328 image from that code.

Can you send me a mpeg4 sample video you have problems with then I can test it on rk3229 and rk3328?

• The rk3229 images posted recently have mpeg4 hardware acceleration added.

I'll try to see if I can build a RK3328 image from that code.

Can you send me a mpeg4 sample video you have problems with then I can test it on rk3229 and rk3328?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It's really any mpeg4 file as far as I can tell, that exhibits this choppy / low frame rate type of problem.

I've somehow reduced the problem by changing the resolution to 720p but that's not an optimal solution.

I'd totally appreciate your image!

• You can try the image I built

feedback for test build LibreELEC-RK3328

Thanks for the build.

I tried it today and although I was able to see mpeg4 hardware acceleration on some files, not all used it I noticed. I believe I saw msmepg4(SW) for one file, perhaps an older video format. No biggie.

But what was a showstopper for me on this build, was that I was unable to reboot and get back to the interface. I always had to unplug the power to get it working, was greeted with a "no signal" on both tv's I tried after a reboot. Also, when this happened, I couldn't ping the rock64 over the network. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I never experienced this with the official 9.2 build.

I don't want to sound unappreciative, I'm just reporting my findings. Thanks again for this.

Edited once, last by joelones (January 20, 2020 at 8:10 PM).

• Thanks for the build.

I tried it today and although I was able to see mpeg4 hardware acceleration on some files, not all used it I noticed. I believe I saw msmepg4(SW) for one file, perhaps an older video format. No biggie.

But what was a showstopper for me on this build, was that I was unable to reboot and get back to the interface. I always had to unplug the power to get it working, was greeted with a "no signal" on both tv's I tried after a reboot. Also, when this happened, I couldn't ping the rock64 over the network. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I never experienced this with the official 9.2 build.

I don't want to sound unappreciative, I'm just reporting my findings. Thanks again for this.

Will check if I can do something else.

It would help a lot if you can send me test videos that don't work correctly.

If you still use Android, please check Nova Video Player, it has lots of optimisations for Rockchip devices.

You can also click multiple times on the video decode menu to then choose between several video decode methods, one might fix your problem.

Releases · nova-video-player/aos-AVP · GitHub

Also check Android Kodi if it has the same problem as LE.

• Thanks again. No worries about that video file which seems to be using "ff-msmpeg4 (sw)" instead of mpeg4 (hw), probably an older video I've had in my collection. MediaInfo says it's "Divx 3 (Low)". Really, the only thing I noticed about your new build, was that reboots simply don't work and I see a no signal message on my TVs. I'm not using android, just pure LibreElec on all my boxes.