Do Pi heads record or tvheadend on the backend?

• Greetings -

I'm working on my first setup and trying to do a bit if planning and setting expectations for my wife, but I need some info.

My intent is to have a tvheadend server and mutiple raspberry pis that interact with that server. Would like to record to a network-attached storage. Currently using a single instance of windows media center and windows 7 and my wife is sensitive to me tinkering with a setup that she perceives is working, so I have to deploy carefully and gradually or the system will get the ax.

I have been successful with running LibreElec 9.2 from a flash drive (so as to not interfere with the current windows installation) on an AMD64 architecture with tvheadend server add-in. Was also able to view the streams from tvheadend from a single raspberry pi over my home wireless network, so that was really incredible. I don't yet have the network-attached storage working (hard drives in the mail), so I haven't pointed tvheadend or the pi at it. My question is, once I attach the NAS to the pi and to tvheadend, then press "record" on the pi, does the pi do the work of archiving the file over the network or does it instruct tvheadend to record the file? This makes a pretty big difference with reference to the network performance of the pi and, seeing that I'm limited to wireless for the time being, that may be something that I have to deal with sooner rather than later.

Thanks,

j