Elgato EYE TV / Hauppauge WinTV HVR-980 as TV tuner on Libre ELEC?

• I have an El Gato Eye TV Hybrid that lsusb identifies as 2040:6513 Hauppauge WinTV HVR-980

I was wondering if there is a guide somewhere as to what I need to get this to work in LibreELEC?

Thanks

Mark

Edited once, last by tekno (December 30, 2019 at 11:43 PM).

• It seems the probelem may be with the Firmware install to the Elgato Eye TV Hybrid ATSC (Hauppauge WinTV HVR-980) from LibreELEC.

I found the following resources:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 - LinuxTVWiki

linux/extract_xc3028.pl at master · torvalds/linux · GitHub

Kernel/Firmware - Ubuntu Wiki

I can see that the same firmware is already in /var/lib/firmware and possibly a couple of variants

xc3028-v24.fw

xc3028-v27.fw

xc3028L-v36.fw

Actually they are links there they really reside in

/usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware/

My system never tries to load the firmware though as discussed on the third link running

Code
    udevadm monitor --property

Does not seem to show any firmware related messages when the device is connected. I then also activated the VDR back-end and started a channel scan, still no firmware.

LibreELEC 9.2.0 (latest) x86_64

Is there something hindering LibreELEC from uploading the firmware?

From what I have read the firmware version is critical to make this work.

Thanks for any help

• User provided firmware needs to go into /storage/firmware/<filename> which will overlay files (and any dirs created) to /usr/lib/firmware on reboot.

I hear you say this but I can clearly see the firmware is already in /usr/lib/kernel-overlays/base/lib/firmware/ there is also a link in /var/lib/firmware that points there. The firmware appears to already be there .

I do have an extracted version of the firmware and could copy to /storage/firmware (which does not exist) but that may only confuse the issue. Obviously this firmware was installed by TVHeadend or VDR or by default.

strangely enough, my Ubuntu 16.06 kernel 4.4 will not install the firmware either. I think the firmware need be installed only once.

• what firmware is acrually missing ?

can you provide the link from that output dmesg | paste

There is no missing firmware , it is there. The firmware is never uploaded to the TV Stick. Check the three links in my second post .

The first link is the actual model I have .

The second post tells you how to extract xc3028-v27.fw from the windows driver (which I did , but that file was pre-existing on my LibeELEC install., Not missing!)

The problem is the firmware file is never uploaded to the TV stick based on troubleshooting in third link of second post

Attached is output of

udevadm monitor --property

As stated in second post nothing more happens when starting VDR or scanning for channels. There is no attempt to upload firmware.

EyeTV.log

• the other logs don't help :)

I have no idea what you expect to see from this command, I only get

dmesg | paste

http://ix.io/274I

sorry , I ran that on wrong IP will redo in a minute on the correct machine and update this post.

My bad it was the correct machine. That is all I see

I see it is a link to the log.

Edited 3 times, last by tekno (January 11, 2020 at 12:19 AM).

• No USB hub. I did read somewhere that these dongles needed to be used without a hub so it is on its own port.

here is the new output

http://ix.io/2781

I then tried several things for a channel scan and no channel scan progress at all with VDR

UPDATE ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I rebooted again leaving the USB connected and here is the new dmesg

http://ix.io/279h

interesting the end of log

Code
    Modulation set to unsupported value

I see in PVR > Client specific > DVB > Setup there is an option for "DVB / ANSI-SCTE / NORDIG and wondering wgere this goes for ATSC channels as I am not interested in QAM at all.

There seems to be a few places where one must set options like this but not finding much of a guide other that hurried youtube videos with no explanation .

Maybe I shoud go back to TVHeadend?

Edited 2 times, last by tekno: added info (January 11, 2020 at 5:11 PM).

• No scanning on TV Headend or VDR.

I also thought maybe this card needs the earlier formware ver 24 or the later "L" v36 version??

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 53243 Nov 22 21:22 xc3028-v24.fw

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 66220 Nov 22 21:22 xc3028-v27.fw

-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 68933 Nov 22 21:22 xc3028L-v36.fw

somewhere I saw where to install alternate DVB drivers in LibreELEC but could not find that now.

BTW I always thought DVB referred to non- North American TV standards but maybe I am confused.

• there are different DVB standards,

DVB-T/C/S/S2 basically everywhere besides US and Brazil

ATSC US

ISDB Brazil

So first thing is to ensure you need ATSC :) because you have a ATSC stick.

Second thing is that the log looks basically okay, driver is loaded okay.

That nothing is found could have several reasons, mainly wrong settings.Could you try an "blank" scan at Tvheadend without any preselected frequencies if something turns up?

MAYBE it is a driver problem, idk know.

There were a lot fixes for Hauppauge devices since the release of the kernel we are using. MAYBE this fixes something, you could try a Mihouse build if it works there (warning Kodi 19 PRE ALPHA and downgrade is not really possible) so make a backup.

• I think I am giving up on this card. I hear they make great uncompressed composite capture cards though if I can find the cable.

Any experienc with cheap chinese TV cards ??

USB 2.0 Digital DVB-T SDR+DAB+FM HDTV TV Tuner Receiver Stick RTL2832U+R820T2 GA | eBay

RTL-SDR FM+DAB DVB-T USB 2.0 Digital TV Stick RTL2832U + R820T Tuner Receiver | eBay

rohs mini digital usb 2.0 tv stick fm+dab dvb-t tuner receiver Sale - Banggood.com

They seem cheap enough and last link has reviews from Linux users. I learned long ago not to trust a seller claiming "Linux Compatibility"

• Pls make sure you buy a card that fits your region (idk)

You need ATSC at the USA and you need DVB-T/T2/C at europe !! DVB-T/T2/C is not compatible with ATSC etc ... !!

Otherwise don't buy any RTL... DVB stick, just crap - also heavily outdated.

If you are located at europe you want an DVB T2/C stick, at the USA an ATSC stick.

DVB-T is basically outdated, some countries still use it - make this clear before :)

Everything you linked above is basically cheap crap :D

Try to look after Hauppauge WinTV-soloHD or Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD - they are rather cheap and well supported.