Libreelec crash/freeze with AMD 2200G

• I have a gigabyte board and downgrading is easy for me (sorry for that news)

For me i settled with a gigabyte f32 bios version in the end which is agesa 0.0.7.2 i believe this is actually a combiPI release but before they added 3000 series support, i think this release only added support for the athlon 200 zen cpu but i had to use this one as my western digital m2 ssd wouldnt work until this bios version.

This bios has been solid for me.

Windows works fine for me (i currently dual boot so i can also play a few steam games on my big tv)

Linux distros work fine as long as they above kernel 5.0.x

And libreelec works fine for me, been pretty solid to be honest.

I use gamestarter addon and play some old retro games on libreelec, play mainly x264 and x265 movies/tv shows all 1080p and 4k, tvheadend for all the live tv stuff

The computer is set to wake and sleep when a raspberry pi calls for it from mine or one of the kids bedrooms.

i dont really change any settings in libreelec after stock install just skin stuff to my preference

So i can assure you it does work fine so it must be related to something on or in your system.

Or maybe even a faulty part of some sort.

Mine has always worked fine on windows since agesa 1.0.0.4 pinnacle so the fact you have problems on windows my suggest a part is at fault somewhere.

I use a gigabyte ga-a320m s2h v2 motherboard.

the 2200g

16 gb kingston hyperx (2x8gb 2667mhz)

120gb western digital m2 2280 ssd (For libreelec)

240gb kingston uv500 ssd (windows 10)

4tb wd green sata hard drive (for all media)

• I stuck with the latest BIOS for now and until yesterday it seemed to work fine. One video though crashed every 10 minutes or so. The only thing I changed in recent days was update the display driver. I purged the current one, installed the certified one from December and the video worked without an issue. I played it several times since.

I'm pretty sure that part of the problem is the driver. I also changed the sound output to WASAPI, but it didn't change anything, same with disabling fast boot on Windows. The weird thing is that with another video, it worked perfectly fine with the newer driver. If I compare the two files with Mediainfo, I have the same frames, resolution, just the size is higher with the one that didn't crash for video. For audio it is AAC LC vs AAC LC SBR, the latter from the crashed one. Text streams seem to be ASS vs UTF-8, latter one from the crashed one. It's different applications that encoded them though.

For now I think I will stick with the certified driver (Adrenalin 2020 Edition 19.12.2 Recommended (WHQL)) and see what happens. I don't think it makes sense to switch to LE as I basically would need to test out which kernel version doesn't crash or if there is any version that doesn't crash. A bit annoying but at least I can mostly exclude a hardware fault when switching drivers crashes or fixes it. What I might still experiment with is the BIOS as the comboPi BIOS doesn't really add anything for the CPU I use.

• Sorry for the necro, but I would like to finish the thread if anybody will ever find it.

I sent the hardware back to the retailer and they tested it. Mainboard, CPU, SSD, and case (includes the power supply) were fine. It appears, although they did not make it entirely clear, they send me back new RAM modules. With them, it seems to work fine under Windows with Kodi now. Latest updates and Kodi version 18.6. Graphic driver is 20.4.1.

The interesting thing is that the error always pointed towards the driver and, weirdly enough, the Plex app didn't have any issues playing back the same videos. I don't know why, but it seems the player of Kodi uses the RAM more intensely, which then crashes if it is faulty.

So yes, it was a hardware fault and if I don't find any problem on Windows, I will move back to Libreelec. Also, how do a mark it as resolved?

• I don't know why, but it seems the player of Kodi uses the RAM more intensely, which then crashes if it is faulty.

I bet Plex has been used higher addressed RAM cells, and they probably worked fine. Interesting that you did the RAM test, as suggested by me, but haven't found errors. Use MemTest86, and let it run for some minutes.

Also, how do a mark it as resolved?

Hit the "Edit Topic" button over your first post (I'm using the German version, so I can't tell the exact button title), and mark the thread as solved.

• I bet Plex has been used higher addressed RAM cells, and they probably worked fine. Interesting that you did the RAM test, as suggested by me, but haven't found errors. Use MemTest86, and let it run for some minutes.

That might be possible. Might be possible that Kodi uses a bit more RAM as well and has therefore a higher chance of problems. The weird thing is, I did the memory test, but it showed no errors. The retailer apparently found some, not sure what tool they used.