Language File

• I would like to change some wording in Kodi on Libreelec 9.2.0

The problem I'm having is "/usr/share/kodi/addons/resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po" is not able to be overwritten. I am SSH in and don't have rights to change it. I have my custom strings.po file I just need help getting it in there.

• You need to clone the skin files to /storage/.kodi/addons/<skin> and change the skin name (to avoid namespace clashes) and then make changes to the (now writeable) skin files. Then stop/restart Kodi and select your modified skin name.

• You need to clone the skin files to /storage/.kodi/addons/<skin> and change the skin name (to avoid namespace clashes) and then make changes to the (now writeable) skin files. Then stop/restart Kodi and select your modified skin name.

But the strings.po file that I want to change is not the one for the skin. I want to change the one for the system.

• The English (eng_GB) language texts for the Kodi core system is the default/source language, and can only be changed by Team Kodi. What would be the problem?

The Libreelec platform is locking "/usr/share/kodi/addons/resource.language.en_gb/resources/strings.po" . On Windows or Linux I can make the changes I want.

• Sure, and after the next upgrade/downgrade of Kodi, your changes will be gone.

If it were accessible then a couple of minutes to reupload wouldn't be problem. But on other platforms my change survived the updates.

You'll need to recompile the LE image with the changes applied as a git patch to the original sources, or you use another distro that supports your hardware which has more conventional OS packaging that allows files in /usr/share to be edited.

I knew of the recompile option. I was just hoping to avoid doing that so I could stay on the main branch of updates. May I ask why Libreelec is so locked down? Also is it normal for my post to be disabled until approved? I'm new here so I don't know how things are done on the forum.

• LE aims to be appliance-like and the entire OS is packaged into two read-only files (KERNEL/SYSTEM) which decompress into a virtual filesystem on boot. The OS is "locked down" because you cannot write to a filesystem that's contained in a read-only file. This is also the key to our resilience to user mistakes and simplicity of updates so it's not going to change. You're welcome to work within the constraints of our packaging .. or use a more general purpose distro (Ubuntu, Armbian, etc.) that may be better suited to your needs.

NB: Your changes on other platforms have survived minor version updates because the upstream source files for the language add-on have not been updated. Once an update to the language add-on is pushed by Team Kodi your changes will be obliterated. The add-on is always version bumped for major version updates, which is more what Klojum was referring to.

We get lots of idiots trying to spam the forum so the initial posts for all new users are moderated.