Not Getting 1080p despite TV Supporting under Kodi

• Hi All

Been a reader and found fixes for some of the issues I've been experiencing with setting up a Rasp Pi 4B 2GB (audio etc!)

The problem I have and can't seem to fix is getting the Kodi interface to display in 1080p. My setup is Rasp Pi 4B (2GB) - HDMI into Amp - then the HDMI out port on the Amp into the TV. I have a Blu-Ray / DVD-Recorder / Virgin Media Cable box / Now TV box all going into the Amp.

When the Pi boots up - the TV shows the input as being received as 1080p/50Hz. Kodi starts up and it shows as 720p/50Hz. I go into Settings - System - Display and search one of the two 1920x1080p options; the screen goes black (there are no display changes on the Amp), and stays black. I tap the OK button on my (Pi) keyboard which corresponds to NO option on the "Do you want to keep this display resolution" so it returns to the Settings screen. I try the other 1920x1080p option and the same occurs.

From a config.txt file point of view following other issues (Sound) I have put hdmi_drive=2 in and the (Original) HDMI lead is in the port closest to the Power Lead (official Pi 4 power pack).

Any advice / assistance gratefully received......Thanks!

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • Apols for the delay......log uploaded here :

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Steps done

Resolution set to 1280x720p in Settings - System - Display

Log put into debug mode

Rebooted device

Settings - System - Display = set device to 1920x1080p (first one)

Screen goes blank - leave it for 15 seconds press Enter (so the Keep resolution is NO)

Set device to 1920x1080p (second one)

Screen goes blank - leave it for 15 seconds press Enter (so the Keep resolution is NO)

Exit Settings

Cancel Debug

• Can you check if 1080p works if you connect the RPi4 directly to the TV (bypassing the amp)?

It would also be good to know which amp you are using.

We've got a few similar reports of display problems when an amp is in the chain, though it's not quite clear what exactly is causing the issues.

Edit: checking if there's a firmware update available for the amp would be also worth a try.

so long,

Hias

• So plugging in to the HDMI port on the TV and switching the display to 1920x1080p (first and second options) successfully displays. TV reports 50Hz and 60Hz.

One thing I noted was when I reboot the box and the "colour" startup screen is shown its does show and the TV says "1080p" .....

The Amp is a Yamaha RX-V667. Checking the firmware of the device its running 2.04. The latest I can see is 2.05 which according to the PDF "

This firmware improves stability with 3D signals from DirecTV set-top boxes"....that was September 2010.

I will try a different HDMI port on the Amp.

Edited once, last by Pieman007 (December 18, 2019 at 4:17 PM).

• Thanks for reporting back!

Updating the AVR firmware would be worth a try, often the release note / changes are incomplete.

Can yoiu also try configuring the RPi to 1080p60 and then powering off both RPi and the AVR?

It's interesting that the initial 1080p60 mode from RPi seems to work and most issue reports I've seen so far involved resolution and/or refresh rate changes, so there's some change that using the same mode as on powerup could result in a working display.

so long,

Hias

• I've tried the setting the resolution - pressing right then OK to select Yes to Keep this resolution - I then pulled the plug on the Pi and the Amp, reapplied power the same behaviour was observed....i.e. 1080 on the Pi colour screen and the Pi Recovery screen then nothing :(

• Pulling the plug while the RPi4 was running may have resulted in the settings not being saved.

Better connect the RPi4 to the TV, change the resolution to 1080p60 and then shut it down cleanly. Then pull the plugs and connect RPi4 to the AVR.

so long,

Hias

• Could you try to install Raspbian Desktop on a separate SD card and check if switching resolution / refresh rate with the display configuration utility causes the same issue?

This would help us to narrow down if it's an issue with LibreELEC/Kodi or the RPi firmware.

If the issue also occurs with Raspbian it's best to open a bug report here Issues · raspberrypi/firmware · GitHub

so long,

Hias

• I'm having a similar problem, with the same type of setup. Pi 4 (2GB) through an NAD T758 receiver, to an HD projector.

Every other device I hook up delivers 1080p through this setup, but this option isn't even available in LibreElec/Kodi on the Pi. I have two 1280x720 entries at the bottom of the resolution list and that's the highest. The projector is capable of 1080p at 60 Hz.

If I hook the Pi up to an HD monitor, I get 1080p.

Does LibreElec offer any way to troubleshoot this (at the command line, maybe)? Thanks!

• Please dump the edid when your RPi is connected directly to the projector and also when it is connected to the projector via the receiver. Use the following command (replace "projector" with "receiver-projector" in the second case):

Code
    tvservice -d edid-projector.dat

Then ZIP up both files and attach them here.

so long,

Hias