LibreELEC crashes in the middle of the 4k movie on Raspberry Pi4

• Hi. I use Pi4 with 4G RAM.

It crashes (start to reboot) in the middle of the 4k movie at the certain moment.

After reboot, if I try to watch the same movie, it shows exactly the same moment and starts repeating this moment (1 second of it) in a endless loop.

When I watch he same movie on a PC or via my smartTV, it works well.

I repeated it several times. It crashaes again and again.

Please advise.

Alex

• Please provide a full debug log.

How to post a log (wiki)

1. Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging
    2. Restart Kodi
    3. Replicate the problem
    4. Generate a log URL (do not post/upload logs to the forum)

use "Settings > LibreELEC > System > Paste system logs" or run "pastekodi" over SSH, then post the URL link
  • I'm hoping that one of the developers will pick this up as I myself am not a developer.

What is strange is that the movie starts okay, so Kodi itself is running fine (right?), but things seems to go wrong at a certain point.

It could be that the video file is corrupted at some point (a 4K video is a big file..) and Kodi perhaps simply trips over unexpected data.

Do any other videos give the same outcome, or is it just this one?

• From the log it indeed looks like a corrupted file and ffmpeg trips over that:

Code
    2019-12-02 17:50:14.609 T:2554299248   ERROR: ffmpeg[983F8370]: [truehd] Number of primitive matrices cannot be greater than 8.
    2019-12-02 17:50:14.609 T:2554299248   ERROR: ffmpeg[983F8370]: [truehd] restart header sync incorrect (got 0x0b58)
    2019-12-02 17:50:14.609 T:2554299248   ERROR: ffmpeg[983F8370]: [truehd] too many audio samples in frame
    2019-12-02 17:50:14.609 T:2554299248   ERROR: Previous line repeats 1 times.
    2019-12-02 17:50:14.610 T:2554299248   ERROR: ffmpeg[983F8370]: [truehd] Invalid blocksize.

so long,

Hias

• The other players do not feel this issue at all. So, it could be an issue with the file, but they manage to cope with it. It's probably a good idea to make KODI do the same?

I always say to use the right tool for the job. If that means using a different tool, so be it.

Kodi does things by the book, and uses ffmpeg for video decoding. If you want to maintain a collection of corrupted video files on possibly damaged drives, that's up to you. Also, not all pirated content is 100% 'fehlerfrei'.

If that also means you must use "other players", then do so. You can define external players in Kodi. It's impossible to overcome all types of hiccups or damages in video files.

We are not changing tactics on our media player that works on "everything" for a media player that works on only 1 operating system.

• I don't think crashing is an acceptable reaction to a problem in a video file. This needs to fixed. I experience the same problem randomly with 4k files.

• I don't think crashing is an acceptable reaction to a problem in a video file.

How about using proper movie files instead of remuxed videos with added black borders to a 21:9 movie like the one in Alex24353's log file, all because the russian person creating those remuxes doesn't understand what he is doing? And somewhere along the way, your download/storage of the video got corrupted on maybe drives with disk errors. Depending on the level and amount of corruption, crap videos will no longer be watchable.

This needs to fixed

In that case, roll up your sleeves and start coding.

• It also occurs with sample files referenced on the KODI page: Samples - Official Kodi Wiki

LibreELEC on RPI4 is still beta, so problems are expected. I hope they will be fixed eventually. I don't give up hope.

Can you please tell us which sample files cause issues?

If you have an Ubuntu Linux PC or a Windows PC it might be worth checking if the issue occurs with official Kodi builds as well - that'd help us narrow the issue down.

so long,

Hias

• How about using proper movie files instead of remuxed videos with added black borders to a 21:9 movie like the one in Alex24353's log file, all because the russian person creating those remuxes doesn't understand what he is doing? And somewhere along the way, your download/storage of the video got corrupted on maybe drives with disk errors. Depending on the level and amount of corruption, crap videos will no longer be watchable.

Dear Klojum ,
    1. You keep on blaming HDDs, download managers and even Russians. I am impressed, indeed. But, as I said, two other players do not see any "curruptions". Does it mean these players also do not know what they are doing?
    2. I may agree on Russians, but when it comes to blaming HDDs... you make me worry. I use red WD disks in a RAID5 synology system. I doubt it currupts files, sorry .

My point is: if a file is readable for all other commercial viewers and is not readable for KODI, I am sure something is wrong in KODI.
    I suggest you guys have a look at it.
    Today it crashed two times on another 4k video. Come on, it cannot be that they are all corrupted with Russians!

• but when it comes to blaming HDDs

I said "maybe". The corruption errors come from somewhere, either the download went bad, or the storage has a problem. I don't care, the log is reporting problems.

About the russians... Check the log file entry:

2019-12-02 17:49:11.653 T:2571084656 INFO: ffmpeg[993FA370]: title : Frozen 2013 4K from селезень

That is not an official video file.

People coming here, with their 2nd or 3rd post demanding like "Hey, fix this!" simply because other media players with less overhead apparently have less troubles playing those corrupt videos, have no idea how obnoxious they sound. If they have a problem with Kodi because of this, they can use their other media players instead.

If Kodi had a fundamental problem playing videos, the number of complaints would be in the millions. It is not.

So yes, it's the attitude that stinks and doesn't help.

• I don't care, the log is reporting problems.

[...]

So yes, it's the attitude that stinks and doesn't help.

I don't want to tell on anyone here, I just so happen to have the same issue as the OP.

But you see Klojum : LibreELEC is a community effort and I do believe that participating in these threads should be constructive to that said community. Now, I think a bug report is always relevant to the product and crashes should be avoided generally, as it is nothing but unexpected behavior. If some input is broken and processed by your program, you should get a deterministic result.

A crash is no such thing. At least an error would be nice. In that particular case it seems that many other players (also using ffmpeg underneath) managed to even implement some sort of corrective behavior so that nothing crashes and nobody even notices. That's nice, isn't it? Who knows, maybe even some blu-rays contain broken bitstreams.

And do you know why the log does report problems? To help the developers with fixing them.

To add something constructive to this thread: I have a different remux of Frozen and it crashes also at a particular position near the middle of the movie. There were a couple of bugfixes related to Dolby Atmos, TrueHD 7.1 stuff in the ffmpeg repo. So maybe it's time to bump to a recent version? I'm using CoreELEC so I'm not sure if that's the right place to report my logs to.

Thanks

• If some input is broken and processed by your program, you should get a deterministic result.

On average, three quarters of a software program is already expected to making that application 'foolproof'. You can do only so much, and a 100% bugfree application will never happen. Kodi uses a 3rd party tool ffmpeg for decoding videos. Team Kodi didn't create it, but we use it because it helps us play Kodi on just about every electronic gadget there is. There isn't much else to choose AFAIK.

And do you know why the log does report problems? To help the developers with fixing them.

I've been part of Kodi and XBMC since 'Eden'. I also have a ISTQB certification. I know what testing software is. I think I know what the log file is for. What we cannot do is yank all available Frozen rips from the internet sites, and test all of them. Would you believe me if I said that my Frozen bluray disc rip didn't freeze (how poetic) when played on my RPi?

I'm using CoreELEC so I'm not sure if that's the right place to report my logs to.

Yeah, that is a touchy subject in itself. Generic Kodi stuff could be addressed, but when it comes to the more technical stuff sending the log to CE is preferable in my view.