Posts by Flashini

I could not reproduce the crash on my Odroid N2 with your footage. Are your sure you're experiencing the same issue?

Also, I don't see any error lines there, just verbose output. Do you have a full crash log?

Is this the only file that crashes on your system that is publicly available?

As far as I can tell the issue is not happening on the LE Virtual image when testing in a VM. I'm assuming some hardware-specific behavior. I was able to reproduce the behavior on my Odroid N2 with CE though. I already posted in a related thread on the CE forums: Chapter skip on 4k Remux causes Kodi crash - Kodi - CoreELEC Forums .

We are happy with the basics, Kodi itself is already some 15 yrs old.

I don't see this as a valid statement. This has nothing to do with being sophisticated or an extension. Supporting some specific device, providing some picture mode or something similar can be considered a "feature". Not crashing when fed with some 4K movie that should follow a specific specification, albeit deviating for like one frame is not. That's just error correction in a way that has existed for decades.

Even the first CD players on the market had to implement some ECC (error correcting codes) algorithms because if you had a little dirt on your disc it would not be a "self-inflicted corner case that is far too uncommon to be handled". It's just that digital data is far from error-free, that you even said yourself.

Nonetheless, I really appreciate the project and I don't want to make it seem rude if it's not fixed right away. But I will be happy to help in resolving the issue if I can help and I expect nothing more but the developers to look into it sometime appropriate. Bugs are reported so they can be fixed, so more people are happy about the product, which is nice for everyone I guess.

Not fixing them doesn't add anything to it.

Yesterday I got into another issue which will probably put an end in my usage of KODI: the quality of video on 4k is terribly low. It's not b/w yet, but a kind of greyish. Pity, I liked the idea of KODI, but what is the point in the great organization capacity of KODI, if it simply cannot show a movie!?

What do you mean? I request you stay serious and objective so we can find out what the issue is and perhaps it's just some configuration issue. I have yet to compare my Kodi playback with Blu-Ray Player footage.

By the way, as some seem to make that assumption, bare downloading, possessing and even copying movies is legally unproblematic in some jurisdictions like Switzerland if you do this within a closed circle of friends. So it should not be an argument against fixing bugs (or exceptions/ unexpected behavior) either.

I don't care, the log is reporting problems.

[...]

So yes, it's the attitude that stinks and doesn't help.

I don't want to tell on anyone here, I just so happen to have the same issue as the OP.

But you see Klojum : LibreELEC is a community effort and I do believe that participating in these threads should be constructive to that said community. Now, I think a bug report is always relevant to the product and crashes should be avoided generally, as it is nothing but unexpected behavior. If some input is broken and processed by your program, you should get a deterministic result.

A crash is no such thing. At least an error would be nice. In that particular case it seems that many other players (also using ffmpeg underneath) managed to even implement some sort of corrective behavior so that nothing crashes and nobody even notices. That's nice, isn't it? Who knows, maybe even some blu-rays contain broken bitstreams.

And do you know why the log does report problems? To help the developers with fixing them.

To add something constructive to this thread: I have a different remux of Frozen and it crashes also at a particular position near the middle of the movie. There were a couple of bugfixes related to Dolby Atmos, TrueHD 7.1 stuff in the ffmpeg repo. So maybe it's time to bump to a recent version? I'm using CoreELEC so I'm not sure if that's the right place to report my logs to.

Thanks