Videos recorded with Android phone are upside down lying or wrong aspect ratio etc.

• I tried playing videos recorded with several Android phones from several vendors on a recent test image of LE (for allwinner H3) and videos shot upright are mostly 90° tilted, often wrong aspect ratio. Horizontal videos are upside down (mostly with my old nexus 5x which had the sensor built in the different way round) As far as I found out Android seems to just save the video any format it feel like and then fills into the meta data how the player has to rotate the content.

Funnyly the thumbnails are shown correctly on LE, as opposed to the video itself.

Is this a known issue?

Is someone working on this?

Can I help out somehow? With sample videos maybe?

Thanks for your support.

• When playing..in video settings Video Mode set to Normal...on phone leave auto rotate enabled when recording video and it shouldn t be upside down.Also for best phone videos hold the phone horizontally/landscape.

• When playing..in video settings Video Mode set to Normal...on phone leave auto rotate enabled when recording video and it shouldn t be upside down.Also for best phone videos hold the phone horizontally/landscape.

I will check what it is set to, I suppose as I never changed anything it should be on normal?

Unfortunately your tips at how to take videos are not really helpful, as I'm already having those videos, cant rerecord them with different settings/orientation of the camera...

Also the Nexus 5x as an example has the CCD mounted upside down to ease routing of the PCB. once I found out about this, I tried to hold the phone accordingly (very counter intuitive). But as a matter of fact Android doesn't seem to give a dime about video orientation and seems to handle all with metadata. If played back on Android all those videos are not distorted either. Also the preview thumbnails take the correct orientation/aspect ratio into account.

So to come to a conclusion the way those videos are recorded might be suboptimal, but nevertheless they seem to contain enough information to be displayed correctly. So there is a chance to fix it player side.