PiFace Control and Display 2

• Hi you all,

I have bought a Piface Display and Control 2 for my Raspberry Pi 4. On Raspbian it is working like a charm, but I can't figure out to let it work with LibreElec and the LCDProc add-on.
    I have copied all the useful config.txt settings from Raspbian to LibreElec with no luck. The driver that I use in LCDProc is: lirc
    Can someone help me solve this?

Thanks a lot!

• Da Flex I did what the tutorial told me to. The IR reseiver is working, but the LCD display isn’t. I’ve installed the XBMC LCDproc add-on without any luck. I saw a video on YouTube

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.
    who had got the PiFace working with XBMC on Raspian. I have asked him for his settings, but no awnser. The video is 5 years old though.

• Da Flex Yes, the file is present.
    I am a step further and the display is flickering now. JeeeeeJ ^^!!! But now I get the following error message:

HD44780: PiFaceCAD: mcp23s17_write_reg: There was a error during the SPI transaction: Invalid argument

any ideas?

• Here it is:

# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later

# Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Stephan Raue ([email protected])

# Copyright (C) 2016-present Team LibreELEC (LibreELEC – Just enough OS for KODI)

################################################################################

# Bootloader configuration - config.txt

################################################################################

disable_splash=1

hdmi_enable_4kp60=1

dtparam=spi=on

dtparam=i2c1=on

# Memory (System/GPU configuration )

# Default GPU memory split - at least 288M is needed for some 4k HEVC files

gpu_mem=320

# For overclocking and various other settings, see:

# config.txt - Raspberry Pi Documentation

# Set 'force_turbo=1' to disable dynamic overclocking and enable overclocking always.

force_turbo=0

# Force HDMI even if unplugged or powered off

# hdmi_force_hotplug=1

# Doesn't sent initial active source message.

# Avoids bringing CEC (enabled TV) out of standby and channel switch when

# rebooting.

hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

# End of default configuration

# Include distribution specific config file if it exists.

[all]

include distroconfig.txt

• Nope, no go.

Yesterday I had installed Raspbian on my Pi and installed pifacecad on it and that was working. But when I used LCDproc it also worked, but the display was all scrambled and the LCDd command with the config loaded did not stop.

This morning I read a post on raspberrypi.org that OpenLX has suddenly stopped on December 2015 in devolping there Python software pifacecad.

Why do they still ship those hats then, if they don't developing there software anymore :rolleyes:? I asked the store where I bought the PiFace CAD from for a refund. I hope I could exchange it for something else from Adafruit they are still devolping ;)

• That's the pity of Linux, because the most software is freeware the designers and developers are dependent of crowdfunds and the good will from others. If that stops or the costs are higher than the profits some good projects quit. :(

Anyway, I bought myself an single LCD display from Adafruit with HD44780 driver support. I still have to solder it, apply the LCDproc software, and we're good to go. ;) Then I can also use the Pi without a TV monitor for listing to my music :cool:

Thanks again for your support! :thumbup:

• Anyway, I bought myself an single LCD display from Adafruit with HD44780 driver support. I still have to solder it, apply the LCDproc software, and we're good to go. ;) Then I can also use the Pi without a TV monitor for listing to my music :cool:

Sounds like a plan! :) Let us know when you made it.

I currently do a little OLED project for my other RPi (headless Raspbian), that's why I'm interested.

The OLED also uses I2C, which needs a workaround if one already has a power button at the SCL pin of the I2C bus.

If you don't have a power button, then it should work without problems.