RPi 4 4GB - Video on TV but not on Video Amplifier

• Hello

i have received my RPi4 4gb but i have an issue i can't figure out

When the Pi is plugged with the HDMI direct to my TV.. it works fine

but usually i was plugging my old Pi3 to my Video amplifier Marantz... but ..

when i try to do the same with the Pi4..

... no image..no sound.. nothing at all

I'm only using the HDMI port closest to the usb-c port. ( i don't use the other HDMI)

strange and i can't find a way to debug that.

can you help me?

Chris

ps: sorry for my bad english..i'm french. hi from Paris

• May I suggest - tell people what TV you have, which input on the TV you are using, what model is your AV receiver, which input, what types of cables (HDMI 2.0 ?), and so on. Further information such as which resolution modes are enabled (whitelisted in LibreELEC), and details of the HDMI capabilty of the receiver (what HDMI standards and what resolutions supported) may also be helpful. You have given so little information that no-one will be able to make helpful suggestions.

• May I suggest - tell people what TV you have, which input on the TV you are using, what model is your AV receiver, which input, what types of cables (HDMI 2.0 ?), and so on. Further information such as which resolution modes are enabled (whitelisted in LibreELEC), and details of the HDMI capabilty of the receiver (what HDMI standards and what resolutions supported) may also be helpful. You have given so little information that no-one will be able to make helpful suggestions.

Thank you for your answer

i will try to explain more then

just before i just wonder why everything was working with my raspberry pi 3 model b+ and not why the new rpi4

so, here is my configuration:

my Tv is a sony model KDL- 40R450B, of course capable full HD

my video amplifier is a marantz sr 7009 of course capable full HD and compatible with 4k (downsizing)

i'm only using HDMI2.0

this morning i tried a little test:

as it was working when i plugged directly the RPi to the TV.. i tried to put in beetween just a little HDMI splitter ...

and no image! no sound. strange..

it seems that when there is a splitter involved ( because i guess ther is one in the video amplifier too) it result in no image no sound anywhere

same test withe the pi3 ... everything is working just fine

i didnt used the withe list because normally my marantz amplifier is capable of any resolution. so it should work

should i use the white list and select 1920*1080? why is there two 120=1080p lines? whats is the difference between those 2 lines?

because i get nothing withe the amplifier plugged... not even the boot sequence.

why does it worked just fine with the rpi3? you can admit that this is strange no?

does anybody use the RPI 4 with a video amplifier and does it works for him?

THANK YOU

• Did you try the other HDMI jack on the RPi4 ?

Did you try another HDMI cable ?

Did you try another HDMI input on the Marantz ?

Are you using the original RPi4 power supply ?

• Did you try the other HDMI jack on the RPi4 ?

Did you try another HDMI cable ?

Did you try another HDMI input on the Marantz ?

Are you using the original RPi4 power supply ?

Did you try the other HDMI jack on the RPi4 ? YES

Did you try another HDMI cable ? YES

Did you try another HDMI input on the Marantz ? YES

Are you using the original RPi4 power supply ? YES the white one (the one specific for the rpi4

• Can you ssh into the pi when display is working (direct connection to TV) and when not working (going through amp)

and report output of "tvservice -s"

I wonder if the amp is advertising support for 4kp30 which the TV can't handle.

• Can you ssh into the pi when display is working (direct connection to TV) and when not working (going through amp)

i'm not familiar with ssh but i will try now...

can you describe the procedure exactly? step by step for a newbie?

please

i will try now on my own anyway

i manage to ssh and here are the info i get:

with amplifier plugged:

and with TV plugged:

seems pretty the same to me..

still dont get it and not working

thanks for your patience

• Looks like we are sending the same signal in the working and non working case.

You can make absolutely sure of this by booting directly connected to TV (which works),

and then uplugging hdmi cable to go through amp (while kodi is running). Do you get a display?

Connect back to TV to confirm signal is still being sent).

If you see picture on TV before and after and no picture when using amp, I'd say you have some faulty

hardware outside of Pi. Check all cables. Try different cables. Try different sockets on amp and TV.

Try a different amp if available to try to narrow it down.

• Hi,

I solved it last night.

Step 1: install raspian, the full package.

Step 2: install kodi

Now here come the tricky part

Open the editor in raspian, and go to boot directory

Cd /boot

Then open config.txt

Use this link, use option #2 to change config.txt:

3 Ways to Edit the boot/config.txt File on Raspberry Pi

When you open the config.txt file, “un comment” the safe line... to uncomment, remove the “#”

In other words, set “hdmi_safe to 1”

And remove #

See this link for details.

Video options in config.txt - Raspberry Pi Documentation

Replug the system. The screen will be wrong size; adjust in raspian.

Bonne chance.

• First, thank you to take my problem with such concern. thank you

i'm going to try what you said ..

So if I understand well..

i erase my SD card... and i don't use Libreelec?

so.. let's go...

first, finding how to get raspian...

then how to install kodi on raspian...

then try to manage config.txt

question: will this be solved natively in the future Librelec version?

thanks

and i'll get back to you asap

Edited once, last by Alkoda (August 8, 2019 at 6:05 PM).