Appropriate device...

• It does not need to because 4k is usually HEVC (H.265) encoded.

However, the point of this thread is me trying to found a board that can do H.264 2160p60 :D

Also, usually is the operative word here. Sadly, I have to compose with that in mind. Anyhoo, I think I'll settle for a custom built HTPC, unless something new surfaces. Thank you all for your feedback.

• Official Post

Axymeus It's probably more cost effective to re-encode 4K H264 media to H265 so there's a wide variety of usable hardware than build expensive custom HTPCs using the rare parts that can do that natively. How much 4K H264 media do you have? - the only thing I can find with that combination is "Big Buck Bunny" .. which immediately crashed my RPi4 the first time I tried to test 4K output a few months ago :)

• It's probably more cost effective to re-encode 4K H264 media to H265 so there's a wide variety of usable hardware than build expensive custom HTPCs using the rare parts that can do that natively. How much 4K H264 media do you have?

Yeah you're probably right, but it's time consuming and I will have to decide how best to approach this (while I have a long experience encoding H.264 content I have none with H.265, that's a whole new array of options to learn and try) and generally speaking, I dislike reencoding. It wouldn't be a problem if it was BluRay-based content that I could rip again, but it's (legally) downloaded content. And to be clear, it's adult material ;) Even big studios are still unaware of the benefits of H.265 it would seem. All in all I do not have a lot of content that would need to be reencoded, and maybe it does not matter overmuch in the end, but I'd love a device that can simply play anything.