Posts by Axymeus

It's probably more cost effective to re-encode 4K H264 media to H265 so there's a wide variety of usable hardware than build expensive custom HTPCs using the rare parts that can do that natively. How much 4K H264 media do you have?

Yeah you're probably right, but it's time consuming and I will have to decide how best to approach this (while I have a long experience encoding H.264 content I have none with H.265, that's a whole new array of options to learn and try) and generally speaking, I dislike reencoding. It wouldn't be a problem if it was BluRay-based content that I could rip again, but it's (legally) downloaded content. And to be clear, it's adult material ;) Even big studios are still unaware of the benefits of H.265 it would seem. All in all I do not have a lot of content that would need to be reencoded, and maybe it does not matter overmuch in the end, but I'd love a device that can simply play anything.

It does not need to because 4k is usually HEVC (H.265) encoded.

However, the point of this thread is me trying to found a board that can do H.264 2160p60 :D

Also, usually is the operative word here. Sadly, I have to compose with that in mind. Anyhoo, I think I'll settle for a custom built HTPC, unless something new surfaces. Thank you all for your feedback.

H.265 HEVC [email protected] up to 4Kx2K@60fps
    H.264 AVC [email protected] up to 4Kx2K@30fps

However - when you can demonstrate a real world need for H.264@60fps you might be justified in shelling out the extra.

I don't understand why most chips have this limitation, I don't believe 2160p60 H.264 is more taxing to decode than the H.265 counterpart. And sadly, I have quite a few content encoded along the former specs. As you can imagine I'd rather not have to reencode them. And despite Pine's mail the RK3328 in the Rock64 and the 3399 in the Pro do not support it from what I can tell... So I guess it doesn't leave me with too many options.

The N2 looks quite powerful, surely enough for my use, and I can get the 2GB for 99€ (board alone)... however I'm still unsure about video processing capabilites of any board. I mentionned the Vero 4K+ and found this message from one of the developers

Vero 4K +'s VPU only supports 4K30 for H264 content. 4K60 is supported for HEVC.

So how do I know this won't be an issue on the N2, or any other board for that matter? Specs usually only say that it supports up to 4K 60Hz... (Right now only the Rock64 is confirmed to be compatible with H.264 encoded 2160p60 but LE support seems limited)

I can suggest an Intel Gemini Lake ITX board + a small ITX case + a cheap (used) DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM stick (2Gb will be fine). Should be cheaper than NUC.

That's 70€ for the cheapest board alone. Add case, RAM, drive, and power supply... But that will definitely work the way I want. I'd still prefer something that works out of the box to be honest.

HDR isn't a priority, if it is supported that's great but I can live without. I'm looking at the NUC right now and it seems very interesting! EDIT: The price though... There are some cheaper alternatives like the Z83 II at 89€ but while it says it supports 4K video I'm not sure it supports 2160p60 H.264...

Hello everyone, I'm looking to buy some hardware to run LibreELEC but I'm completely lost... can you help me please? I'm in need of a device who can ouput 4K content at 60 FPS, H.264 and H.265. I've found three potential devices for that...

- The Vero 4K+ looks good, but it seems it cannot run H.264 2160p60 only H.264 2160p30, so that's out of the question (H.265 does not have this limitation)

- The Rock64 has the right specs apparently, but it seems many people have had difficulties with LE on this board... Might still go for this one, but is 1GB RAM enough?

- The Asus Tinker Board, never saw any feedback on it, not sure it can do the trick

- Something else? (HTPC?)

Thank you for your help :)